Metformin

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've was on 4x500mg metformin a day, then after about 6months due to feeling rubbish and high readings of between 13-16 my doctor put me on 2x1000mg slow release metformin. Know the same feelings coming back always feeling tired and feeling rubbish. Phone my doctor got to see him next week he said my hb1ac level gone from 47 to 51 in 3 month. Yet I'm still eating the same healthy food and training alot. Please advise

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have you been tested for both type 1 and type 2? What is your diet like? "Healthy" could mean anything and does mean vastly different things to different people. You may want to go back to your doctor and ask for a GAD antibody test.

Reactions: Freema

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is a GAD antibody test please and how does a person know which type of Metformin they're on too?
I'm on x4 500mg daily, doesn't say anything about slow release. Thanks.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The gad antibody test looks for antibodies that tell them if there is an autoimmune attack on the pancreas. These antibodies will be there in type 1 or LADA. You are probably on regular metformin unless your doctor has changed it since you started. Doctors dont usually prescribe extended release unless the GI side effects are bad. The extended release is much more expensive.