Metformin

Bluebetty

Hi...I am on Metformin for a month now (500g x2) but suffer with painful headaches - no energy. Is this a side effect? Thanks.

Tanis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi...I am on Metformin for a month now (500g x2) but suffer with painful headaches - no energy. Is this a side effect? Thanks.
My Dr.built me up slowly in the month since diagnosis, starting at 1 a day and now on 3. I have had no side effects apart from constipation, so may it is because you went straight in at 2 a day or just that we are all different.

Reactions: Freema

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi...I am on Metformin for a month now (500g x2) but suffer with painful headaches - no energy.Is this a side effect? Thanks.
Sounds more like high blood glucose levels. Give metformin a bit longer to settle. My reintroduction to metformin has taken a few months to kick in.
Oh and dehydration. Drink plenty of water.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Freema

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

Hi :). Yes, Metformin can cause headaches, but it is a less common side effect. Read the drug information leaflet that should be in the box of tablets. Drink plenty of water and hopefully the headaches may not be that bad. Do you wear glasses at all? Maybe you need your eyes testing?
It could also be as @ickihun has already said: Blood Sugar being high?

A

asparagusp

Take extended release Metformin to minimise side effects like headaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I am on slow release tabs.
Blood sugar 4.5 - 5.2

Those results are Good and within range :).
I take Metformin x 4 a day (and Insulin) and usually I get headaches when I am Hungry. If your headaches continue - go and see your GP , there are other Diabetic tablets to take if you are not suited to Metformin? Keep us updated on how you are? And the outcome if you should go and see your GP. :)