metformin

bobjan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i have been diagnosed with TYPE 1 DIABETES.
I have been given METFORMIN AND SUKKARTO. 4 a day, I have cut them down.
Diorrea is the main course. But the boxes say TYPE 2
what now

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 100% sure type 1 treatment always have to include insulin, i will seek another gp if he start to treat type 1 like med only. Of cause i know some type 1 also used metformin but i never heard type 1 do not need insulin. Are you sure you type 1 or maybe you are type 1.5 (LADA). Lada can be treat with metformin but it will not last and have to move to insulin after some times( weeks or years).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have been diagnosed with TYPE 1 DIABETES.
I have been given METFORMIN AND SUKKARTO. 4 a day, I have cut them down.
Diorrea is the main course. But the boxes say TYPE 2
what now

Hi Bob - Could you share with us how you were diagnosed with diabetes?

The medication you have been prescribed are more usually prescribed for Type 2 diabetes, but of course, there could be something a bit unusual about your circumstances which led to that prescription.

If you have cut down your medication, do you know what your blood sugars levels are doing? Did your medical team give you testing kit?

If Metformin (the most usual culprit for additional "bathroom action") isn't suiting you, there is a variant called Extended Release or Slow Release Metformin which tends to be kinder to the tummy.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Sukkarto is a brand name for Metformin, so your two sorts of tablets are the same thing.

Can you tell us a little about how and where you were diagnosed, and what your blood glucose test results were? Are these the only diabetes medications you were given?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi bobjan,

welcome to the forum. If your diagnosis is type I there should something more than Metformin prescribed (as mentioned the active ingredient of Sukkarto is Metformin Hydrochloride).

Unfortunately "the runs" is relatively common although some are lucky enough to not suffer that particular side effect.

I think the next step is to see your GP and get confirmation of diagnosis and if it's type I, ask why insulin wasn't prescribed.

What are your BG levels like by the way?