Metformin

gavmoulds

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
What is it actually doing for me. Just completed my first week on 1 a day. Now have to start on 2 a day.

I hve felt quite exhausted with some flu like symptoms.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The answer to your question, is it does relatively little. It is a mild drug that is mainly an appetite suppressant. It helps to a limited extent by reducing the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally, but is not to be relied on to bring your overall blood sugars down. You need a reduced carb diet to do that. The common side effects are tummy problems (toilet issues mainly) which affect some people more than others, and usually disappears after a few weeks.

How high are your blood sugars? High BS can and do cause fatigue and tiredness.

Do you have your own blood glucose meter? If not, I highly recommend you buy one. Without one you are working blind. With one you can quickly discover your personal danger foods and also your safe ones.

gavmoulds

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
The answer to your question, is it does relatively little. It is a mild drug that is mainly an appetite suppressant. It helps to a limited extent by reducing the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally, but is not to be relied on to bring your overall blood sugars down. You need a reduced carb diet to do that. The common side effects are tummy problems (toilet issues mainly) which affect some people more than others, and usually disappears after a few weeks.

How high are your blood sugars? High BS can and do cause fatigue and tiredness.

Do you have your own blood glucose meter? If not, I highly recommend you buy one. Without one you are working blind. With one you can quickly discover your personal danger foods and also your safe ones.
Thanks. I am between 7 and 8.4 at present.

7 in the morning. 8.4 90 mins after food.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you test before eating in addition to 90 minutes after?
If you do that and look at the difference between before and after, and keep this below 2mmol/l, preferably less, your numbers will start to drop. More than 2mmol/l and there are too many carbs in that meal, which can be reduced in portion size or eliminated. Keeping a detailed food diary including portion sizes is an excellent plan because if you record your levels alongside the food it will soon become clear what your danger foods are, and also what your safe ones are.

Reactions: Nooch1 and ziggy_w

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
metformin is only a stick to lean at it really only does around 5 to 10% difference, the real job is to eat so few carbs that one's blood glucose get down in the normal non-diabetic range, most in this forum do that by eating less than 150 grams of carbs in total in a day

doing the low carb eating style .. normal levels are much lower than what diabetic nurses tell people to strive for in general being type 2 diabetic..in this scheme you can see the truely normal levels of blood glucose ,note that only the green area is normal
most can achieve around 6 mmol for morning blood glucose or even lower

50shades - Copy.png

Reactions: Mick1959

Jmennaid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is it actually doing for me. Just completed my first week on 1 a day. Now have to start on 2 a day.

I hve felt quite exhausted with some flu like symptoms.
I started taking Metformin nearly 3 weeks ago and will be taking 3 a day from tomorrow. Fatigue hit me once I started on 2 a day, hopefully this along with a few other side effects will ease off soon.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It supposedly protects the cardiovascular system too.