Metformin

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
I've been on metformin for 5 years I take twice a day but I still get odd days where it affects my stomach sometimes really bad to point I stop taking them all I've got off my nurse is keep taking them my sugar levels are quite high some days I drink lot water to get levels down I would love to be coping drug free but getting no support off medical experts, all she says need to perservier with them think after 5 years I've tried my best, just don't know where to start with diet control. My work pattern is not best so eating all different times every day don't help one bit

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @snookie09

If you want to manage by diet, then restricting carbohydrates is the best way. If you want things to be simple, stick as much as possible to real foods - meat, fish, eggs, green veg, some dairy - and you won’t go far wrong.

The website https://www.dietdoctor.com/ is a very good starting point for information, recipes and more.

When you eat is important but if you make a start by eating things that keep your blood sugars in check you’ll likely then find it easier to adapt to an irregular working pattern. The key is to plan and have things with you so you don’t end up with things you later regret.

Reactions: snookie09