Metformin.....

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Is metformin used to reduce hba1c or is it just for insulin resistant people? About 4 years ago my consultant mentioned it but nothing has been said since....my hba1c did go down to 58 but it is now up to 83 and I want a baby but need my hbA1C reduced....plus I am justr curious! x

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin allows a T1 to reduce insulin intake and so control weight better by reducing the amount of sugar absorbed from food in the gut and reduces the amount of sugar stored or released by the liver in Dawn Phenomenon.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Metformin allows a T1 to reduce insulin intake and so control weight better by reducing the amount of sugar absorbed from food in the gut and reduces the amount of sugar stored or released by the liver in Dawn Phenomenon.
Hmm so metformin could benefit me?? Because i really need to lose weight but have been struggling so much!!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hmm so metformin could benefit me?? Because i really need to lose weight but have been struggling so much!!
Yes, I think it could benefit you. Low carbing will help more than metformin with BGs and weight loss, but this med can give you a helping hand. Make sure your doctor tells you about the side effects that may occur, and what to do if they happen. There is a slow release version that may be better in this regard. If that doesn't help, then agree ahead of time if you want to stop taking it because of side effects, as this could save you a trip back to the doctor to discuss.

D

Deleted member 83869

Yes, I think it could benefit you. Low carbing will help more than metformin with BGs and weight loss, but this med can give you a helping hand. Make sure your doctor tells you about the side effects that may occur, and what to do if they happen. There is a slow release version that may be better in this regard. If that doesn't help, then agree ahead of time if you want to stop taking it because of side effects, as this could save you a trip back to the doctor to discuss.
I think i will mention it today to my nurse then :) i wish i could remember why they didnt put me on it in the first place!

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes it could :)