Metformin

hardaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I've just had my 6 month check up, and I was good new for me as my blood glucose levels have come down from 8.5 to 6.5, so I have asked to change from 3 tablets of metformin to the slow release version still taking 3 tablets, but I will be taking them all at the same time, this is due to me working permanent nights, and having difficultly spacing my medication out, eg when I start nights my day starts about 9am and I get back to bed about 7am the following day, when I finish nights my day is only about 10 hrs long, has anyone on here taking the slow release tablets, that could give me any info as to the side effects or had any problems with the tablets.
thanks Ian
I take 2 slow release metformin with my evening meal, they tried me on 3 but the side effects were not good. I suffer with needing to go quickly to the loo and can be on the loo for half an hour or more

tom143

Type of diabetes
Type 2
tom143-hi- have type2- taken metformin max dose along with gliclacide, sitagliptin and losartan for the best part of 20years, never had any problems whatsoever. do not test my blood but attend diabetic clinic twice a year for a full checkout.live a normal life without any problems. yes have had to adjust my diet but no harm done.do however take plenty of exercise thanks to my dogs.

SamiaBabiker

Hi Ian
I am T2 for nearly a year now started with the normal metformin but gave me a lot of grief with my belly for the 4 months then my GP put me on 1000mg SR metformin but unfortunately the SR tablets gave me palpitations my heart nearly jumped out of my chest then my GP immediately stopped them and I went back to the normal metformin I must say that I am ok with them now only if I don't behave myself and eat sugary or carby stuff that is when I get tummy cramps and diarrhea.
SR metformin in very rare cases can cause palpitations and I am unfortunately one of them, but that doesn't mean that you can't tolerate them give it a go.
I also work some night shifts and I understand what you mean, it just screws up your system

2Heads

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,
First time I've posted so I hope this works OK. I have two questions and I'm sorry if the answers seem obvious to most of you!
(i) I read that metformin should be taken with a meal and I assumed this was to avoid tummy upsets. I've never had a problem with that as I tend to have a cast iron stomach so I just take 2 in the morning when I wake up and 2 at night when I go to bed. However, I'm beginning to wonder if there are other reasons for taking with meals. Is my timing OK if my stomach is OK
(ii) My GP didn't give me a tester as I'm Type2 but I bought one for myself. I realised it was going to cost me an arm and a leg (I don't suppose that losing a limb is a very good analogy on a forum about diabetes) so I test once a day when I get up. Now, I've seen people on hear saying that they are concerned when their reading gets up to 6.8 or so and yet I'm delighted if I can get it down that low!!! Are readings in the low 7s something I should be really concerned about first thing in the morning?

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@2Heads - Metformin ought to be taken with food - during or after. Metformin lowers the amount of sugar created by the Liver, and decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the intestines.
Having a fasting reading of 7 is nothing to worry about, as some people do have, what is referred to as 'Liver Dumps' = (Dawn Phenomenon) - where your Liver releases stored glucose into your bloodstream on waking to boost your energy. So, a lot of people can get higher readings on a morning.:)

Lorraineagain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Red Peppers, Pine Nuts and negative people.
Hi all I've just had my 6 month check up, and I was good new for me as my blood glucose levels have come down from 8.5 to 6.5, so I have asked to change from 3 tablets of metformin to the slow release version still taking 3 tablets, but I will be taking them all at the same time, this is due to me working permanent nights, and having difficultly spacing my medication out, eg when I start nights my day starts about 9am and I get back to bed about 7am the following day, when I finish nights my day is only about 10 hrs long, has anyone on here taking the slow release tablets, that could give me any info as to the side effects or had any problems with the tablets.
thanks Ian
Hi Ian, My experience of SR Metformin has been that I can tolerate 2 500mg per day but whenever I've increased it to 3 I have had an instant reaction - stomach cramps & diarrhea. You ay you are going to take 3 at onece - just make sure you're near a loo just in case. However, everyones different and you may be fine. Good Luck.

2Heads

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@2Heads - Metformin ought to be taken with food - during or after. Metformin lowers the amount of sugar created by the Liver, and decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the intestines.
Having a fasting reading of 7 is nothing to worry about, as some people do have, what is referred to as 'Liver Dumps' = (Dawn Phenomenon) - where your Liver releases stored glucose into your bloodstream on waking to boost your energy. So, a lot of people can get higher readings on a morning.:)
Thanks for your help and advice, Liam.

Reactions: 2 people