metforming and insulin

uc644800

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Went at the hospital , to see my grandchild that was diagnose with diabetes , he is 13.
Talking to the nurse there , I ask why I`m on metformin and insulin ? my GP told me that the metformin is to sensitise my cells to absorb the insulin , but the nurse at the hospital say , we never proscribe insulin and metformin ....which is right ? by the way my grandson does not take metformin !

Bombjack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm Type 1, and take 2000g Metformin per day thanks to my fantasic DN.

I used to be so insulin resistant in the mornings, that I could inject 30 units of insulin after waking up, not eat anything, and still see my blood sugars rise. It was crazy, and I didn't bother with breakfasts for years.

Since starting Metformin, I have never looked back, Those morning hypers are gone now, and although I'm still a little more resistant in the mornings, I can eat normally, just giving myself a little more insulin than if it were lunch.

I'm a huge fan of Metformin! I have heard it said that every diabetic should be on Metformin, as it is a Glyoxalase promoter, hence has many health benefits in the long term.

Reactions: ringi

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is unlikely a 13-year old (unless very overweight) will have a high enough level of insulin resistance to benefit from metformin. (Being overweight is a common symptom of insulin resistance.)

One way to think about it is that Type2 is one of many symptoms of insulin resistance and that metformin is a treatment for insulin resistance, not Type2. About 50% of the UK population has a high level of insulin resistance, having Type1 does not change the probability of having insulin resistance.