metmorfin and alcohol

thistory

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone,
I am 21 years old and i have been using glifor 1000mg(metmorfin) twice a day for 4 months. And i didn't drink alcohol since i started it because of the possible side effects. But next week i will have an event which is going to be one of the most important days in my life. And i am planning to drink alcohol. So what happens if i quit my medicine like for 1 day, drink alcohol that night and then continue to use it again ? I know it is important to use these kind of medicines regularly but i really would like to enjoy this day too. And how long should i wait to drink alcohol, hours, 1 day or maybe more ? I will be so glad if i will receive some advices. Thank you so much !!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What are your levels like without alchohol?

I don't know personally whether that drug has interactions with alchohol.. But hopefully bumping up for you so that someone with experience can offer advice..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Hi, I'm not medically qualified so this is just my opinion, I also take 1000mg of metformin twice a day, I also drink alcohol on a Friday night (sometimes a Saturday too!). I don't stop taking the metformin when I'm going to have a drink and I've had no side effects yet that I'm aware of.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. With the caveat that I'm not medically qualified, either (but I am on 1g Metformin a day), I drink alcohol two or three times a week. My GP's not offered me any advice about not drinking and I've not had any symptoms that I'm aware of, from doing so.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/metformin-and-alcohol.24464/ is a pretty full discussion of this specific subject, previously, and http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/metformin#faq offers a lot more information on Metformin and the issues/effects surrounding it.

It's a personal view, but I haven't stopped my medication when I've been out for a drink - then again, I rarely get trollied these days either ......... I think it's probably another situation where granny's wisdom is the best advice to adopt: "Everything in moderation, chuck", she used to say. "Everything in moderation."

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
My consultant told me that I could have 2-3 glasses a week. I take 1 x 500 metformin tablet and ramaprilramapril

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take 2 x metformin 2x a day, and drink alcohol on a regular basis. I don't restrict what I drink and haven't had any side effects (apart from a bad head the following day on a couple of occasions -nothing to do with the medication!!!) Go and enjoy yourself -but avoid the 'bad head'

I think that the side effect bit on the medication leaflet is about if you drink lots on a regular basis.

Don't not take your medication as I suspect that the alcohol won't be the only thing you will be eating or drinking that may be a little bit different to your regular diet.

BTW I'm not medically qualified either, but I am in charge of my life!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was adviced when I started taking metformin to Stop taking them the day before if going to be drinking, then resume taking them again the day after,