Metoformin on fast days??

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am currently doing the 5:2 fast diet, quite successfully and having a steady weight loss of 1 pound each week. I have been taking my Metformin (1 x 500mg) 1 with breakfast and 1 with evening meal, but have just read that I shouldn't be taking it on fast days, is this true??? Has anybody else been doing this?? thanks for any help/advice :rolleyes:

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a read of the Information leaflet tucked in the box with the tablets, it will never be a best seller, but from memory, I think it cautions against taking them when on a VLCD of <1,000 cals. I don't take them unless I have eaten more than that, it's kinder to my insides that way :D

Reactions: Ally Pally

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a read of the Information leaflet tucked in the box with the tablets, it will never be a best seller, but from memory, I think it cautions against taking them when on a VLCD of <1,000 cals. I don't take them unless I have eaten more than that, it's kinder to my insides that way :D[/QUOTE

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, I suppose I'd better read the leaflet in the box when I get home from work then! :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on the weight loss.
I did stay on Metformin whilst I was on very low calorie diet. (Newcastle diet). I was, however, being closely monitored throughout by GP, and pharmacy. I was able to stop taking them after a month into the very low calorie diet, due to having consistently non-diabetes blood glucose levels.

Are you testing blood glucose regularly, and what sort of numbers are you seeing, @sarah_chadwick ? Perhaps the BG readings rather than the weight loss would be an indicator, of whether or not your meds need tweeking.