MiaoMiao and 14 Day Freestyle Libre Sensor

malmihdar

Hi,

I am considering going with the Freestyle Libre & the 14 day sensor, in order to make it more of a CGM than a flash scan device I am considering going with the MiaoMiao as an addition. I would just like to know if the MiaoMiao works with the 14 day sensor or not. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I am considering going with the Freestyle Libre & the 14 day sensor, in order to make it more of a CGM than a flash scan device I am considering going with the MiaoMiao as an addition. I would just like to know if the MiaoMiao works with the 14 day sensor or not. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks.

Hi, malmihdar, if you're in Europe, miaomiao works perfectly well with the 14 day sensor. The apps to use with it are xDrip+ on android, or Spike on iPhone. There are links to download those on the miaomiao site.

If you're in America, I can't find the links now, but I've got a vague recollection that it worked with their 10 day version but not with the 14 day one, but I might be wrong about that. Maybe have a look at the American fudiabetes and tudiabetes which cover things stateside - I'm pretty sure I read on one of those that the 14 day version was a problem.

It's well worthwhile, libre, mm and xDrip+ do some pretty sophisticated stuff - not only customisable hypo/hyper alerts, you can also calibrate against bg readings to tighten up sketchy sensors (mines are often only about 0.2 to 0.4 out), and you can input your own ratios so that it'll give rough predictions of where a bolus/carb might take you. It also identifies trends on the line, so will pop up warnings saying "low predicted in 36 minutes", so you get plenty of advance warning to keep an eye on developing situations. It also estimates insulin on board, which is very useful for deciding on whether or not a correction dose is needed - if it looks like I'm starting to trend too high, but I see that I've still got 6u iob, I'll not correct, but only 1u iob, I'll maybe consider a correction.

It's made a significant difference to how I manage my T1. The more you use it, the easier it becomes to see things which you just didn't know about before, and gently steer levels instead of fighting them.

Pic below to give you an idea of what the graph looks like.

Welcome to the future!

Screenshot_2019-02-08-09-25-33.png

D

Deleted Account

One thing to consider is Libre Mk2 is coming out in a few months.
I have read that non-Abbot apps are currently incompatible with this version.
I am sure the app developers are working on sorting that out but it is one of the things making me hesitate to buy a Miaomiao at the moment.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi, malmihdar, if you're in Europe, miaomiao works perfectly well with the 14 day sensor. The apps to use with it are xDrip+ on android, or Spike on iPhone. There are links to download those on the miaomiao site.

If you're in America, I can't find the links now, but I've got a vague recollection that it worked with their 10 day version but not with the 14 day one, but I might be wrong about that. Maybe have a look at the American fudiabetes and tudiabetes which cover things stateside - I'm pretty sure I read on one of those that the 14 day version was a problem.

It's well worthwhile, libre, mm and xDrip+ do some pretty sophisticated stuff - not only customisable hypo/hyper alerts, you can also calibrate against bg readings to tighten up sketchy sensors (mines are often only about 0.2 to 0.4 out), and you can input your own ratios so that it'll give rough predictions of where a bolus/carb might take you. It also identifies trends on the line, so will pop up warnings saying "low predicted in 36 minutes", so you get plenty of advance warning to keep an eye on developing situations. It also estimates insulin on board, which is very useful for deciding on whether or not a correction dose is needed - if it looks like I'm starting to trend too high, but I see that I've still got 6u iob, I'll not correct, but only 1u iob, I'll maybe consider a correction.

It's made a significant difference to how I manage my T1. The more you use it, the easier it becomes to see things which you just didn't know about before, and gently steer levels instead of fighting them.

Pic below to give you an idea of what the graph looks like.

Welcome to the future!

View attachment 31215
Hi Scott-C
How did you get your xDrip to display the Avg and A1c numbers?

Mine only shows the In Carbs and U figures

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Scott-C
How did you get your xDrip to display the Avg and A1c numbers?

Mine only shows the In Carbs and U figures

Hi, I'm using an older version from January, so the path might have changed since then, but on mines it's click Settings then Less Common Settings then Extra Status Line, that'll bring up the screen below, switch on the button at the top and that'll then give you free rein to toggle the fifteen or so options on that page, there's quite a few of them like total insulin and carbs used since midnight, capture, ratios, calibration stats, but it gets too darned cluttered with too many!

I've found the Standard Deviation one quite useful just to see in one number how 'uppy downy" the day has been.

Screenshot_2019-05-24-00-16-45.png

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi, I'm using an older version from January, so the path might have changed since then, but on mines it's click Settings then Less Common Settings then Extra Status Line, that'll bring up the screen below, switch on the button at the top and that'll then give you free rein to toggle the fifteen or so options on that page, there's quite a few of them like total insulin and carbs used since midnight, capture, ratios, calibration stats, but it gets too darned cluttered with too many!

I've found the Standard Deviation one quite useful just to see in one number how 'uppy downy" the day has been.

View attachment 33101
Hi Scott-C.
Found it now. I THOUGHT that I had pressed every single button in the Settings.!
See what you mean about the line getting cluttered though.
Thanks for the help.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport

View attachment 33101

Hi Scott-C,

Thanks for the reply. Got a question, if you have time.

Don't fully understand how they arrive at the Standard Deviation number. Hoping you can help.

I get that it is related to the difference between my max and min reading for the day. So "smaller is better". That should be all I need to know, but I like to understand how things work.

I can't quite see what factors are used to calculate it.

Like, what if you spent 23 hours with a reading of about 7.00 and had one huge spike of 17.00. (don't you hate days like that)
Does the SD only take into account the upper and lower numbers, or does it take into account how LONG the reading was at each level?

Maybe it works it out using every single reading (that would be most accurate)

Also, I can't seem to work out how to get XDrip to Export ALL of its readings in CSV format. It only seems to want to give me 1 days worth.

Thanks

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Scott-C,

Thanks for the reply. Got a question, if you have time.

Don't fully understand how they arrive at the Standard Deviation number. Hoping you can help.

I get that it is related to the difference between my max and min reading for the day. So "smaller is better". That should be all I need to know, but I like to understand how things work.

I can't quite see what factors are used to calculate it.

Like, what if you spent 23 hours with a reading of about 7.00 and had one huge spike of 17.00. (don't you hate days like that)
Does the SD only take into account the upper and lower numbers, or does it take into account how LONG the reading was at each level?

Maybe it works it out using every single reading (that would be most accurate)

Also, I can't seem to work out how to get XDrip to Export ALL of its readings in CSV format. It only seems to want to give me 1 days worth.

Thanks

I'm not the person to ask about this - I'm terrible with numbers and statistics!

I've got four statisticians sitting about 4 yards away from me at work, who have tried patiently to explain to me the subtle differences between mean, median, standard deviation and relative standard deviation, but I always just end up sitting there looking puzzled and saying, right, so as long as it's not too high, that's ok then?

Not too sure about the export either - I've always just ran things on the phone with no need to export data. Although having had a quick look at the feature, I see it brings up a calendar, so I wonder whether choosing an earlier date on that would export everything from that date to the current?

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi Scott-C,

If you select an earlier date on the calendar it exports that days worth.

However, I did manage to find out where it is storing its files.
When I had a look I found a zip file for each day and in 3ach zip there is a database file.
I can't open these on my phone, but tomorrow I am going to try to copy them across to my PC.

Maths isn't my strong point either, so I will stick with the smaller is better approach.

Cheers

Nomad1071

Hi,

I am considering going with the Freestyle Libre & the 14 day sensor, in order to make it more of a CGM than a flash scan device I am considering going with the MiaoMiao as an addition. I would just like to know if the MiaoMiao works with the 14 day sensor or not. Has anyone tried
Hi,

Thanks.
Hi Scott-C,

If you select an earlier date on the calendar it exports that days worth.

However, I did manage to find out where it is storing its files.
When I had a look I found a zip file for each day and in 3ach zip there is a database file.
I can't open these on my phone, but tomorrow I am going to try to copy them across to my PC.

Maths isn't my strong point either, so I will stick with the smaller is better approach.

Cheers
Hi,

Thanks.

It’s not as good as all the hype and there is no iOS App for it (you have to download each week a confusing get around software).
It’s only real benefit is the reading can be viewed remotely by eg parents but I give it a real health warning as it is never accurate but you see basically whether the reading is going up or down. Don’t trust it’s accuracy under any circumstances or risk having real hypos when checking on your Libra device.
Other warning, you have stickers to secure it to skin. When it comes to replacing them they cost a fortune - presently £52 ordered from the UK. However, what they don’t tell you is that there is an Import Duty and VAT of over £20 which YOU have to pay for it to be delivered by the delivery company! No money no honey the guy said to me!! If you refuse delivery MiaoMiao will not refund you anything saying it’s in the small print.

Nomad1071

It’s not as good as all the hype and there is no iOS App for it (you have to download each week a confusing get around software).
It’s only real benefit is the reading can be viewed remotely by eg parents but I give it a real health warning as it is never accurate but you see basically whether the reading is going up or down. Don’t trust it’s accuracy under any circumstances or risk having real hypos when checking on your Libra device.
Other warning, you have stickers to secure it to skin. When it comes to replacing them they cost a fortune - presently £52 ordered from the UK. However, what they don’t tell you is that there is an Import Duty and VAT of over £20 which YOU have to pay for it to be delivered by the delivery company! No money no honey the guy said to me!! If you refuse delivery MiaoMiao will not refund you anything saying it’s in the small print.

*above should read when ordered from only supplier MiaoMiao in the USA and imported to UK