Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
after the picolax thread? never! lol

all i ate the day before this wonderful experience was , yog & berries, egg and ham salad and some dark chocy :( nothing nasty there

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
I hope someone is online right now to help.
I have a fasting blood test tomorrow/today (04/06/14 at 0800...Im on nights so not been able to eat since 2100.

Not feeling too clever so did a test and its 4.7 which is starting to get low for me.

Im worried as I still have 5 hours left on my shift and I have to ride a motorcycle home.

What can I do???

have you ever wondered what triggered your diabetes ? i was working shifts for twenty five years and think that caused my diabetes im type 2 insulin controlled 4 times daily you should have a snack st least or you could have a hypo on your way home whic h is against the law however if your just on metformin you could be ok i just dont understand why you need to fast

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
you are basing your stuff on T1's on insulin, it's a different ball game.
a t2 on metformin should be seeing under 5 and under 4 after not eating, I've seen 3.5 before my liver triggered to dump sugar, it's one for the books if you will go under 3 and will be a famous person
you can ride your bike under 5 unless you are on insulin or a couple of the oral drugs that can cause hypo by stimulating the pancreas

jack im type 2 on insulin 4x daily if im below 4 i know im going to have a hypo so its just not type 1's that get them someone who is not diabetic could also get a hypo if their reading is below 4 too

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
agreed, if you are on insulin, it's the same rules as a T1. a T2 not taking medication that can cause a hypo, can not eat for a week and not get a hypo. the body will naturally adjust the BG level on and above it's liver dump trigger level. I'ts how people go on hunger strikes and fasting

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
agreed, if you are on insulin, it's the same rules as a T1. a T2 not taking medication that can cause a hypo, can not eat for a week and not get a hypo. the body will naturally adjust the BG level on and above it's liver dump trigger level. I'ts how people go on hunger strikes and fasting
yes i also by law have to check my blood before i drive i also have a 3 year licence i dont fast anymore before a blood test as i nearly passed out but every time i go for one they always say have you been fasting?i had a heart attack last year they said at the hospital it was because of my diabetes .
my picture is of me in caribean some 45 years ago