Might be Pre-Diabetic

Syfi777

Hi All,

So Diabetes (Type 2) pretty much effects most members in my family. My Dad has recently been in hospital and now has to use insulin. It looks like it is only time until my Mum will be diagnosed as diabetic. I have recently tested my blood glucose in a fasted state and the result was 6.1mmol/l which indicates Pre-Diabetes. So I have recently done a blood test guessing HBA1C to get more concise results. To be honest the results of this test is inconsequential as I need to make a change now whether I am Pre-Diabetic or not, as if I don't I will be full Diabetic in years to come. I wanted to join this site as most of my family down play Diabetes as a minor ailment and that it is something that you do not need to worry about. I wont to make sure, or at least try and not end up on all the meds my Dad is on.

A question I do have regarding Pre-Diabetes. If I do everything correct, like losing weight & exercising, will I be able to have a treat every 4-6weeks? I do not mean going back to my current diet because if I did I would end back in the same situation. I think completely eliminating all bad food for ever would just set me up for failure & having that treat every 45 days would help. When I say treat I most likely mean a Carb heavy meal (Dominos, burgers etc..)

Thanks,

Simon

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome, great to see you being proactive & acting early.
As far as treats go it's a risk reward scenario.
Your meter will tell you what you need to know.
Funnily enough, it's those of us who get away with "cheat meals" regularly are at most risk at slipping back into old ways.
Carb creep is an issue.

Syfi777

Welcome, great to see you being proactive & acting early.
As far as treats go it's a risk reward scenario.
Your meter will tell you what you need to know.
Funnily enough, it's those of us who get away with "cheat meals" regularly are at most risk at slipping back into old ways.
Carb creep is an issue.

I am definitely trying to be! I am still young at 27, which has made me complacent regarding my diet & exercise, thinking that I could eat **** and get away with it. For cheat meals I guess it is something I would essentially just see how it goes. If it is putting me on a downwards spiral, definitely a no-no.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for taking the initiative. I'm another who is subject to carb creep. It is very much an individual thing so reducing your carbs is a good step. Also getting regular HbA1c tests will help you make sure that you are not heading further into diabetes . I wish my kids were so proactive.