Type 2 Mild dizzy spells

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed T2 in June on a reading of 48. Since then I've lost 3 stones and brought my reading down to 39 so I'm quite chuffed. I'm not on meds other than statins. I'm quite fit and well. However I do have mild dizzy spells when standing up. Has anyone else got that symptom?

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes me, exactly the same, mild dizzy spells when standing up and sometimes at other times of the day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I doubt it has anything to do with diabetes or statins. It could be a sudden blood pressure drop. It could also be a touch of postural vertigo. It could be something else. . As long as it is mild and not enough to make you faint I doubt there is a great deal of cause for concern, but do mention it to your doc or nurse though.

Edit. One way to reduce this is when you stand up from sitting keep your eyes on the ground and your head down.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I do. Its being investigated by a cardiologist as I'm having other symptoms to.
I've been told it could be blood pressure related. As I have Acute hypertension.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had dizzy spells whilst on statins which was why, with my doctor's agreement, I stopped taking them. I also found that they raised my hba1c from 48 to 54.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fell over to the right in 1980 and ended up in hospital. It was not mild dizziness it was full on "can't stand up" stuff. I went through some scanners but it was not a help. They diagnosed me with BPPV which means it won't hurt but you might fall over..

I improved as they said I would. They actually said that I would get used to it and for many years I did. Now I find that lots of people have this condition and they are advised not to look up. Looking up makes it worse so my DIY is ********. Giddy seems to be a part of getting old.

rmurphy195

I have this problem as well - since being prescribed Tamsulosin for BPH. In my case its Postural Hypotension (I think) http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blood-pressure-(low)/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

A **** nuisance. It does cause a problem if you are learning to fly!

It particularly happens after exercise for some reason, and in warmer weather - I "grey out" momentarily. I think its because the Tamsulosin affects a muscle in the groin somewhere that contracts when you stand-up, the muscles purpose is to maintain blood pressure so it doesn't drop momentarily. Tamsulosin and related medication relaxes this muscle so it doesn't work properly otr something.

I did have the problem when I first was diagnosed as T2, the BP tablet I was prescribed initially gave me the same symptoms, the GP swopped it for Irbesartan and that cured the problem until I needed the Tamsulosin later. I was swapped onto Tamsulosin to try and get rid of the symptom and it helped - but I can't remember what I was swopped from.

Obviously the cause in my case might not be the same as in your case. I did get a BP monitor to see if I could identify what's happening, but of course I found that by the time I could measure my BP it was all back to normal!

CatAndLucy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get them. It's postural hypotension for me. I've always had slightly low bp in general and it just seems to misbehave now and again. I'm not sure if it helps but I try and up my salt intake slightly when it's bad.

KarenAdamson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could be a simple as an ear infection. I had this and was put on tablets for it which stopped the dizziness. See you G.P. who will check your blood pressure as well

S

serenity648

I was diagnosed T2 in June on a reading of 48. Since then I've lost 3 stones and brought my reading down to 39 so I'm quite chuffed. I'm not on meds other than statins. I'm quite fit and well. However I do have mild dizzy spells when standing up. Has anyone else got that symptom?

I started getting them, then it was suggested to me that maybe i needed more salt in my diet, as a low carb diet, or any diet, reduces our salt intake.

It worked. I had a bit more salt, and no more dizzy spells.

Reactions: ickihun

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @les74

The first few minutes of this video covers the symptoms you describe - connected to low carbing and electrolytes

desidiabulum

It has been documented that statins reduce blood pressure -- might just be tipping you over the edge if you have lower bp anyway. What you describe does sound like good old postural hypotension. Advice I was given was: add a bit of salt to diet; get up slowly; clench fist a few times to push BP up; sit down again if you need it. If it really starts interfering with your life you could try surgical stockings (I know -- that's why I decided just to get up slowly and add salt!). Anyone out there had a tilt test?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I have low blood pressure (due to my medication) and get these symptoms. I get told to "take care" when standing up and to drink more fluids; whether water or tea, etc.

When in hospital (as I often am), and my blood pressure is tested every few hours, then drinking water does seem to raise my BP.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also find a bit of extra salt will help relieve mild dizziness.