Mildly Annoying Moments as a Diabetic

NotBeyonce

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
  • When you don't get enough blood on the test strip
  • When you accidentally buy regular almond milk instead of unsweetened almond milk
  • When people judge you for having a mint or desert or candy 'cause a mint is gonna suddenly cause your imminent death, but offer you pasta, bread etc
  • When people judge you for going LCHF or low carb, but they are the ones needing a nap after lunch
  • When everyone wants to use your glucose monitor to test themselves @ parties/family events ... um, test strips are expensive
  • When you're going out to eat with friends and the restaurant doesn't list nutritional info on their website
  • Not being as hot as T1D Nick Jonas

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Running out of glucogel after thinking you have some left

Reactions: NotBeyonce

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Dropping to sleep when watching a good proramme and missing the end of it, never ever did this before

Reactions: NotBeyonce

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's phone apps for that, I have one called Busting! which is for Australian public toilets. There's heaps of other apps for different countries on Google Play.

Thankyou I will have a look at something similar. I know if we use a motorway I have to stop every services for the toilet, so that's every 25 miles or so :rolleyes:

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being told (as a type 2) that it develeoped as you are fat/lazy/overweight.
Being asked " will you be measuring the weight of everything you eat for much longer?" (LCHF diet)
Having to measure the foods you eat so you can count the carbs.
Getting in very late and realising that you have not prepared anything to eat and it will take 15-30 mins and "why o why can't I just have a cheese sandwich"
Nor being able to eat pancakes made with flour on Shrove Tuesday.
Dr's/Nurses not knowing enough about your condition

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
  • When you don't get enough blood on the test strip
  • When you accidentally buy regular almond milk instead of unsweetened almond milk
  • When people judge you for having a mint or desert or candy 'cause a mint is gonna suddenly cause your imminent death, but offer you pasta, bread etc
  • When people judge you for going LCHF or low carb, but they are the ones needing a nap after lunch
  • When everyone wants to use your glucose monitor to test themselves @ parties/family events ... um, test strips are expensive
  • When you're going out to eat with friends and the restaurant doesn't list nutritional info on their website
  • Not being as hot as T1D Nick Jonas

Test strips are expensive. Lol!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
...and when my long-suffering other half says I'm grumpy AND I CAN'T HELP IT!!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
When decent levels go awol at supper and him indoors offers to delay it and I feel like a guilty spoiler

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Jams and Marmalades which are labelled "Diabetic"