Millets - good or bad?

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cooked millets (probably a third of a cup when uncooked) for breakfast today. I am a bit confused how many carbs that is and if it Is too much for one meal, when i want to be below 100 per day. And generally are millets a good choice for carbs for LCHF?

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BTW, after two hours BG was up by 0.5 (7.0 to 7.5)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Millet is a grain like any other. It may take longer to see raised bg levels with it.

Reactions: Shas3
M

Member496333

As per @Guzzler. It’s a grass seed like any other other grain. Probably fine if you’re a bird...if you’re a human then possibly not so much ;)

Just teasing. Not something I’d consume irrespective of my current metabolic and gastrointestinal health, but hindsight is a wonderful thing :D

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I used to buy millet for my son's budgie (this was back in the late 80s)and out of curiosity I threw a handful in the garden to see if the grass would be any different from what we normally see, I was hoping to see something exotic looking. It came up and... yes, it's grass.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I cooked millets (probably a third of a cup when uncooked) for breakfast today. I am a bit confused how many carbs that is and if it Is too much for one meal, when i want to be below 100 per day.
And generally are millets a good choice for carbs for LCHF?
Millet has 49% gms of carbs per 100gms (cooked), but carbs are absorbed more slowly.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn’t sound great if LC is the objective.. Thanks
Not great.. to be honest no grain or seed will be very good for low carb that's why a lot of us have simply ditched them totally and replaced them with green veg and more meat/chicken/fish instead.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not great.. to be honest no grain or seed will be very good for low carb that's why a lot of us have simply ditched them totally and replaced them with green veg and more meat/chicken/fish instead.
Except flax seed which seems to get special dispensation.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Except flax seed which seems to get special dispensation.
Flax seed (and Chia) do not come from the grass family of plants so they are not cereals or grain which is often demonized. Seed is too broad a term to completely exclude from low carb diets as for example nuts are seeds and they are often recommended.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Flax seed (and Chia) do not come from the grass family of plants so they are not cereals or grain which is often demonized. Seed is too broad a term to completely exclude from low carb diets as for example nuts are seeds and they are often recommended.
Indeed I notice a number of terms get the broad brush approach sometimes.