Mince pie high

Andy41

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a mini mince pie, well 2 in fact, this evening with no insulin. At 10 I checked by BG and it was 18.5 so I took 7 units of novorapid. 2 hours later it's still 15.5. I haven't eaten anything for at least 3 hours. Anybody have any reasons why this is. My Bgs have been below 10 for last few days.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin doesn't start to work automatically. Even in perfect situations it will take 15-20 minutes. It can take much longer if your blood sugar is very high and even longer if your blood sugar is very high and increasing (like yours probably was).

In short, it's a heck of a lot easier to keep your levels regulated if you take insulin before you eat.

Is there any reason you didn't take insulin when you ate?

Reactions: azure

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I have found that when I have to take extra insulin (long acting) it seems to actually stay around for a few days for me. Maybe I'm wrong but long acting is very long for me sometimes-and @Andy41 you ate a lot of carbs at one time my friend. (Not to shame you-I just confessed to my own Christmas cookie disaster in another thread.)

Last edited:
Reactions: KezG

Andy41

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin doesn't start to work automatically. Even in perfect situations it will take 15-20 minutes. It can take much longer if your blood sugar is very high and even longer if your blood sugar is very high and increasing (like yours probably was).

In short, it's a heck of a lot easier to keep your levels regulated if you take insulin before you eat.

Is there any reason you didn't take insulin when you ate?
I just didn't think when I was offered them.

Andy41

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies. I took another 4 units and woke up this morning on 4.1 which suggests insulin kicked in after I went to bed. Lesson learned.