Mini Milks!!

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Was having a look in Sainsbury's for the Toy Story popsicles that Grazer recommended with trace carbs, and also came across Mini Milks, with only 5 grams of carbs per lolly! Not quite the weather for them, but they come in 3 different flavours, including chocolate!! Bought a box of 6 to give them a try later :D

Is it wrong to be this excited about lollys?! :oops:

titannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My coconut flour arrived this morning.....i was sooooo excited, cant wait to try it, so safe to say getting excited about lollys is far better than flour :lol:

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
titannia said:
My coconut flour arrived this morning.....i was sooooo excited, cant wait to try it, so safe to say getting excited about lollys is far better than flour :lol:

Ooo, how many carbs in your coconut flour? Are you going to makes some cakes with it? Could you post your receipes?

I've always had a really sweet tooth, so I'm on the look out for low carb desserts, hence the excitement over the popsicles/lollys :D

Grazer

Sirzy said:
I've always had a really sweet tooth, so I'm on the look out for low carb desserts, hence the excitement over the popsicles/lollys

I've got a really good recipe which I half invented for low carb fresh strawberry ice cream - would you like me to post it?

titannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have got some recipes for cookies which i am going to try but want to make yorkshires to go with roast beef, not sure of the carb value but know its the lowest carb "flour"
Grazer the ice cream sounds great, can you do it with out an ice cream maker?
Also, if you like peanuts there is a great cookie recipe thats made with peanut butter and ground almonds

titannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almond &Peanut Butter cookies -

Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies(42)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup natural peanut butter(sugar free)
1 cup splenda
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups ground almonds/almond meal/almond flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375F

In small bowl combine ground almonds, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In mixing bowl add butter and peanut butter. Mix on high with paddle attachment until smooth.
Add splenda and mix until fluffy. Scrape bowl down.
Add eggs one at a time with mixer running then add vanilla. Scrap down bowl.
Last add the almond flour mixture. Mix just until combined.

You can either bake right away or store dough in the refrigerator in airtight container until a little more firm. You can also pre-scoop all the dough and refrigerate or freeze what you do not want to bake right away.
Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, or nonstick baking liner.
Scoop with a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop(#60), if you don’t have one,~ scoop 1 Tablespoon then roll in your hand to make ball(if you are doing this way you will definitely need to let dough firm up a bit in refrigerator). Lightly press down cookie with a fork making a crisscross pattern.

Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes

Nutritional information for 1 cookie:

Energy 104 kcal
Carbohydrate, Total 2.46 g
Sugars, total 0.70 g
Fiber, total dietary 1.06 g
Protein 3.44 g
Total lipid (fat) 9.39 g

Net carbs: 1.4 g

Would definately recommend using splenda, the first batch i made i used sores own brand sweetner and they were a bit bland and not as sweet

Grazer

titannia said:
Grazer the ice cream sounds great, can you do it with out an ice cream maker?

Yes, although I do use an ice cream maker. Here's what you do without one:-
mix 25 mls of "Crusha no-added-sugar strawberry mixa" (tescos or sainsburys) with 150 mls milk and one tablespoon lemon juice (fresh or jif lemon) You can use full cream or 1% fat, the lower the fat the more sorbet'ish it will be.
Wash 150 grams strawberries and add to the milky mixture.
Puree the lot in a blender.
Separate an egg yolk from the white (I just crack it into my hands and let the white run through my fingers) Beat the egg yolk with 11 teaspoons of canderel powder (or similar) to make a stiff yellow goo.
Beat 100 mls of fresh double cream until it's nearly stiff (getting "peaks") If you want more sorbet than ice cream, you can substitute some of the cream for milk.
Combine the eggy mix with the cream and the milky mix. Stir it all up and stand in the freezer.
Take it out about every 15 minutes or so and stir, then put back in.
When nearly solid, but manageable, take it out and put into about 6 ramekins. Eat one immediately; Enjoy!; cover the other 5 in cling film AND foil and stand in freezer. When you want one, take it out and leave in fridge for about 45 mins before eating.

Carb content :-
Strawberries about 12 grams (total, no deduction for fiber)
Milk 7
Cream 2

Total 21, means about 3.5 grams per dessert.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooo, they sound so nice, I've been looking for a low carb ice cream receipe, will give that a go over xmas :) Will give the cookies a go too, maybe replace the peanut butter with something else though as I'm not a fan. Is almond flour something that can be bought in the supermarket, or do I need to make a trip to a health food shop? Is any brand particularly low carb or are they all much the same?

I've been hunting for a low carb cheese cake receipe too, cheesecake is my biggest weakness! Although, it must be fairly simple to adapt, just replace the sugar with sweetener and the base with crushed nuts?

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you seen this link that somebody posted earlier:

http://www.ticklemysweettooth.com/blog/

I'm in heaven!!! I'll be trying a few of these out over Christmas, one of those brownies with a bit of single cream...there should be a drool smilie :D

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sirzy!

Sirzy said:
I've been hunting for a low carb cheese cake receipe too, cheesecake is my biggest weakness!

You're in luck - I made one yesterday. Here goes:

Make some low-carb biscuits for the base:

100g softened butter (I use slightly salted to avoid salt overload!)
5g Splenda
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g almond flour

Mix butter and Splenda. Add egg yolk and vanilla. Beat lightly. Add almond flour and mix well. Put in fridge for 15 minutes to firm up a little. Take small spoonfuls, roll lightly between your palms and put on baking tray. Flatten. Do this until all mixture is used (about 12 biscuits). Put in pre-heated oven at 200 C for about 12 minutes. Keep an eye on them because they burn very quickly! Take out and allow to cool completely.

Cheesecake:

This makes 1 x 12cm loose bottom flan tin. I usually double it and make 2. Each flan tin is two large(ish) portions. Each portion is about 5g carb, but a huge amount of fat (I'm too scared to calculate that) :lol:

70g low carb biscuits (above)
1.5 tbs Splenda (or to taste)
10g butter (melted)
100g full fat cream cheese (I use Tescos own)
50g double cream
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Crush biscuits with back of spoon
Melt butter in microwave
Pour butter onto biscuits and mix well
Press crumb mixture into flan dish firmly - place in fridge for 15 minutes
Beat Splenda and cream cheese until smooth
Whisk double cream until soft peaks
Add half the cream, lemon juice and vanilla extract to the cheese mix - beat until smooth.
Fold remaining cream into cheese mix
Smooth over chilled base and keep in fridge until ready to eat.

Enjoy!

Smidge

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that Smidge, looks easy enough to do, not too much cooking involved, which is always a good idea where I'm concerned!

What kind of low carb biccies do you use, maybe rich tea or something along those lines? Could I maybe cut down on the fat using soya margerine instead of butter and low fat cream cheese? I imagine I need to use double cream instead of single to give it some firmness? And could I replace Splenda with Canderel? Strangely enough, Splenda/Xylitol etc, seem to keep me awake at night in a similar way to sugar, even small amounts, Canderel doesn't seem to have this effect though :?

I'd better get used to baking, haven't done it since my teens when I used to make a mean banana loaf, got too used to buying cakes and treats 'cos it was always easier and less messy :D

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Whoops! Just noticed you gave the reciepe for your own low carb biccies! :oops:

Where do you buy your almond flour, is it available in the supermarket, or do I need to try a healthfood shop? :)

Grazer

Sirzy said:
Where do you buy your almond flour, is it available in the supermarket, or do I need to try a healthfood shop

Think Tesco sell it, on their health food section

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sirzy!

Sirzy said:
What kind of low carb biccies do you use, maybe rich tea or something along those lines? Could I maybe cut down on the fat using soya margerine instead of butter and low fat cream cheese? I imagine I need to use double cream instead of single to give it some firmness? And could I replace Splenda with Canderel? Strangely enough, Splenda/Xylitol etc, seem to keep me awake at night in a similar way to sugar, even small amounts, Canderel doesn't seem to have this effect though :?

It is very easy to make, but you do need to make the low-carb biscuits. Rich Tea, digestives etc contain sugar and flour, so given the number you need to use, they would push the carb content significantly higher.

You could definitely replace the Splenda with Canderel - this would actually reduce the carbs a little. Margarine would probably work instead of butter, but I think you would sacrifice a lot of the flavour. As for the cream cheese, the lower fat version should work, but I've never tried it. Check the sugar content of it as most low-fat products bulk up on sugar. Double-cream is essential - single cream won't get thick enough to hold the shape.

Smidge

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Ta Grazer, I'll have a look in the supermarket health food aisle next time I'm there :) I've seen ground almonds in the nuts section, is this the same thing? It looks very finely ground, like a flour would look.

Thanks for the tips on the cheesecake recipe Smidge, think I'll give this a go for Xmas, I was going to treat myself to a shop bought slice for the big day, but it was my birthday yesterday (first with diabetes) and I went out for a meal, had fish and veg for my main, but allowed myself a slice of cheesecake for dessert (had been looking forward to it for weeks!!), 2 hours later I was 5.2, but 4 hours later I was 8.5, which isn't horrendous, but I've been just under 7 all day today, so maybe making my own from now on would be a better idea :?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sirzy!

Ground almonds are the same as almond flour. I tend to order mine on-line from Healthy Supplies(you'll get the address if you google it) as I use quite a lot of it and Tesco only sell small bags (although enough for your cheesecake :wink: ). The spike at 4 to 5 hours is quite normal with cheesecake as it is high in fat which makes the carb break down more slowly. 8.5 occasionally isn't too bad - I would be much higher than that with normal cheesecake, and the timing of my insulin to catch the spike would be fraught with danger! Making your own should avoid the spike altogether.

Smidge

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Smidge, I'm going to give it a go next week, I'll probably make a few small ones and have to try one or two out before xmas day, just to make sure I've done it properly :wink: The biscuits sound like they'd be nice on there own with a cup of tea too!

As this cheesecake is low in carbs, does this mean I'll avoid the spike 4 hours later? I sometimes have quite a bit of cream with some sugar free jelly, but I usually only tend to test 1,2 and 3 hours after eating this when the very small increase happens around the two hour mark. Is it essentially eating high carbs with high fat that causes the delayed spike, (the 'pizza effect'), rather than the fat itself?

As I generally eat a very low carb diet, this is the first time I've encountered a food that slowly raises my bg over 4-5 hours, it was a bit alarming to see it keep rising for hours after eating!