Mirena coil & blood sugars/insulin requirements

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hi @kareeta - I think each woman will have a different experience with this, some have had good and some bad, it really depends on how your body responds to it as it is releasing a hormone which may impact on your control and which you can see from your BG tests. My advice would be to monitor it over the next few months including your general mood, worse case scenario is that you can have it removed.

Hi Juicyj
Many thanks for responding. I'm happy to report minimal impact so far to my levels. Mood however, that's a different story. The procedure was bearable and I was able to walk about afterwards. The next 48hrs was rather painful (a little like slow labour) but is gradually easing.

Reactions: Juicyj

shirley7053

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone could help me...
I had the (progesterone coil, not copper) put in 3.5 weeks ago, and I'm really starting to notice my blood sugars going up/needing more insulin (over the past 1.5 weeks).
I'm not sure if this is just coincidence, or whether it's related to the Mirena coil. Has anyone else found this with the Mirena? If so, what ended up happening - did things go back to how they were? Or did you end up needing more insulin overall? If so, how much more (percentage wise) did you find you needed?

I know type 1 is very individual an I just need to keep testing etc etc, but just a bit of info on your experience with the Mirena coil would be super helpful...

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Hi
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone could help me...
I had the Mirena coil (progesterone coil, not copper) put in 3.5 weeks ago, and I'm really starting to notice my blood sugars going up/needing more insulin (over the past 1.5 weeks).
I'm not sure if this is just coincidence, or whether it's related to the Mirena coil. Has anyone else found this with the Mirena? If so, what ended up happening - did things go back to how they were? Or did you end up needing more insulin overall? If so, how much more (percentage wise) did you find you needed?

I know type 1 is very individual an I just need to keep testing etc etc, but just a bit of info on your experience with the Mirena coil would be super helpful...

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Hi Okulu,

I had Mirena coil fitted 4 weeks ago and my sugars have gone so high since. I had gone into hospital for colposcopy and Dr suggested I have coil fitted as I had been in HRT for years . I didn’t have chance to research this and coil was fitted and my sugars have been out of control since !

I am off work as sugars going as high as 18+ after injecting insulin for amount of carbs eaten. I am using Libre 2 sensors and my phone is constantly beeping as sugars high and also getting hypos .

I am sure this is due to Merina coil and even thinking of having it removed .

I am wondering if anybody else experiencing the same since Merina fitted.

Diabetic nurse has increased night time Lantus but does not seem to be making any difference?

Shirley.

Last edited: