Mirtazapine & type 1

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello...
Just wondering if anyone has taken/is taking mirtazapine and also has type 1?
I've just been prescribed it for depression, but I'm too scared to take it - I'm worried it'll affect my blood sugars, and I'm worried it will make me really drowsy.
Does anyone have any advice? (apart from taking it before bed - although to know how long before bed would be helpful..?)
Thanks in advance.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Okulu

I took mirtazapine for two weeks a couple of years ago, but quickly stopped because of severe side effects. I don't remember it having any affect on my blood sugars, but if you're anything like me, it will make you extremely drowsy, and make it quite difficult to wake up. It kicks in pretty quickly, no more than about 20 minutes.

Is your prescribing doctor aware that you have Type 1? Personally, I don't like to take anything that could affect my ability to wake up if I have a hypo, but then I do have a habit of going low over night.

Oh, and if you have to get up in the morning, I would recommend taking it early the night before - it lasts a good twelve hours, and it can make getting up fairly interesting. As I'm sure you've been told, it's not a good idea to drive if you're still feeling drowsy.

Personally, it wasn't the right drug for me, but I hope you find it helpful :)

Reactions: deborabaratto

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am t2 but I took that about 8 years ago and was on 45mg per night.
I can,t remember if I had any side effects, just that it help really well and helped me sleep.
I only came off it because off weight gain

eabhamurphy

My husband takes it, I don't but I'm a pharmacist. I don't believe it will affect your sugars. The drowsiness is a definite side effect but it lends itself well to a good night's sleep. Our crying baby still wakes my husband so it doesn't leave you unresponsive and he says he is finding it so easy to get to sleep. He gets up fine for work in the morning and is ever so slightly more relaxed. I would recommend intially taking it when you are just getting into bed. Judge how drowsy it makes you then you can always take it earlier or later depending on how quickly it makes you feel sleepy.
There are other antidepressants that don't cause the same drowiness, this one is frequently given when insomnia is described as part of the issue. Otherwise fluoxetine or citalopram are more likely first line drugs. Might be worth discussing your concerns and requirements again with your doctor before starting anything.
Hope you find the solution!

Sent from my Pixel using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Juicyj

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all the replies..really appreciated. Thanks for the advice about taking it near bedtime and seeing how it affects me - I think I'll do that.
I did mention my concerns to my GP and she said she would be surprised if it affected my sugars (she said the Mirena coil wouldn't but it 100% did, so I'm not sure how much I trust her....). She said I could take the prescription away and think about it before cashing it in...and if I did start it, and didn't like it, I could change to Sertraline or Citalopram... So, I think I might try it and see what happens...I'm just a bit scared of the unknown....