Misdiagnosed for 4 years

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Lynnzhealth I do get an A1C every 3-6 months, depends who I see when! Fasting has nothing to do with A1C and your sugar level at that exact moment has nothing to do with an A1C test. It is an average over about 3 months of what your sugars are.

So if your sugars are low at that moment, it won't matter on an A1C, however sometimes they will test your glucose level at the same time and that will show low. But you can drink some OJ before you go in to raise your level if needed, keeping in mind to not to go too high as that will show on a standard glucose check too.

And then of course they like to do other tests half the time at the same time of your A1C test and what you eat can make a difference in those tests! Although a little sip of OJ usually won't matter.

Thanks for the info. Since I was diagnosed T2 in 2017 I always had to fast for before my blood work to test my A1C levels. Since I had the Diabetic Ketoacidosis episode in May, they suspect I am now T1 and I'm on insulin. I have blood work coming up next Wed for the A1C, but wondered if I needed to fast from 9:00 p.m. the night before. I tend to go low overnight, even when I have my bedtime snack. That's what bothers me. If I go low overnight what do I do if I'm not supposed to eat anything? Maybe I'll keep some OJ beside my bed just in case. And, I can't drive if my sugars are below 5. Maybe I better call my Dr's office and ask the nurse, just to be sure because that appt was made before I had the DKA thing. So many new things to learn. Thanks again.