Mission to get a insulin pump

Tom86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys I'm new to the forum just joined up today I've been type 1 coming up to 9years now I'm on injections but recently have done a bit of research on pumps and decided it would be a good options for me as I'm a personal trainer so I tend to have a lot of hypos and night time hypos.
I had a meet with my DSN and WOW it really annoys me that the criteria seems to be so tight, she is prescribing me another type of background insulin deculden I think it's called because I'm currently on glargine and referring me to a hospital were she thinks I stand a good case to get accepted for a pump.
Was wondering if anyone has any advice they could give me on getting one?
Thanks
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I contacted input who gave me some advice to follow. I also had to switch hospitals as mine was so long and awkward about it. At the second hospital I was accepted at my very first consultation appointment, after originally asking 2.5 years ago I have my appointment tomorrow to go and select my pump!

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
the overall message is -- you need to chase the med peeps to get what you want ( and even then might not be successful)
so do keep pressing your case
and keep posting here with any progress !

all the best !!!

ktbubble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really surprised to hear that. I've been type 1 for 6 months and yesterday my dns asked if I wanted a pump! I guess it depends on what trust you are in

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you find @Tom86 that trying - with difficulty - to achieve good control on MDI is having an adverse effect on your quality of life (a lot of hypos, nighttime hypos - is what you've said) then you have a good case.

I had 'excellent' control, according only to my HbA1c. My pre-pump HbA1c was 44. But I was in a spiral of failed attempted perfection. It massively affected my quality of life - and the crushing thing is, I had no idea. I thought that half a life (as a result of my diabetes taking over the other half) was as much as I could expect, what with spending so, so much time and effort on managing it (at the expense of my career and my family life). I thought that was what I was supposed to be dealing with and having to put up with. That was the deal. Suck it up. 'That's life'.

Now I've had a pump since October last year, after nearly 30 years of obsessively tight control (hypos, or if higher than 7, beating myself up massively and hating, hating the feeling that I wasn't within target). It had been - with hindsight - ridiculous.

I wrote a succession of letters and sent them to my DSN. It took a while, but she ended up putting my point across to the powers that be, and has remained incredibly supportive ever since.

Pumping has made such a difference to me. HbA1c last count was 42 - but never mind that - I am starting to consider that having a normal life might just be something I might one day achieve. And I'm doing great so far. Work's going okay, my family have heaved a huge sigh of relief - and today I ran my first parkrun.

I feel like a winner-to-be.

:)

Reactions: 8 people