1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Moderate Low Carb

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by lcarter, Sep 8, 2018.

1. lcarter

lcarter Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Hi does anyone have around 50g-100g of carbs? I don't really want to do keto as my sugar levels are really high and i feel this may be too restrictive for me- got to be honest!! ‍♀️ i have an eating disorder too so i need to be realistic... thankyou in advance

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't exactly count my carbs, but I think I usually eat between 50 and 100 grams a day. Works fine for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

My current average is a little higher at around 120g per day. I rarely go above 40g per meal now and I find it helps to reduce both the frequency and magnitude of swings in glucose levels.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moggely

Moggely · Guest

My carb intake would probably be about 30 a day. I use to be under 20 and sometimes still are. I don't count anymore as i'm pretty sure about how many carbs i have per-day. Im T2 so i cannot speak for T1's on this subject but good luck. As for the eating disorder i can't advise anything about that, but others may.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I was at about 130g a day, but seem to be averaging around 80-100 lately.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lcarter

lcarter Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

What sort of carbs do you have out of interest? I dont want to go into ketosis due to levels but im unsure what carbs to eat? Thanks

7. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I avoid rice and pasta, peas, carrots.
    I eat bread as I find that ok to carb count for. Porridge oats as well.
    It's probably one of those individual things - finding what works for you and is sustainable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. limmi

limmi Type 1 · Member

I eat around 100g carb a day, i do 20g each main meal and 3 snacks less than 10g each + 10g for coffee. I inject 1-2 unit novorapid for main meals and none for snacks n coffee as my basal lantus takes care of it. I avoid all cereals, most fruit and eat minimal amounts of starchy veg eg potatoes , sweet potatoes. So far this routine seems sustainable. I tried doing super low carb but it didnt work out. I love my carrots too much :p i hope you find a carb/insulin balance that works for you too :)

• Like Like x 1
    #8 limmi, Sep 20, 2018 at 3:03 AM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook