1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Moderate Low Carb

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by lcarter, Sep 8, 2018.

1. lcarter

lcarter Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi does anyone have around 50g-100g of carbs? I don't really want to do keto as my sugar levels are really high and i feel this may be too restrictive for me- got to be honest!! ‍♀️ i have an eating disorder too so i need to be realistic... thankyou in advance

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Well-Known Member

I don't exactly count my carbs, but I think I usually eat between 50 and 100 grams a day. Works fine for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

My current average is a little higher at around 120g per day. I rarely go above 40g per meal now and I find it helps to reduce both the frequency and magnitude of swings in glucose levels.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Moggely

Moggely · Guest

My carb intake would probably be about 30 a day. I use to be under 20 and sometimes still are. I don't count anymore as i'm pretty sure about how many carbs i have per-day. Im T2 so i cannot speak for T1's on this subject but good luck. As for the eating disorder i can't advise anything about that, but others may.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I was at about 130g a day, but seem to be averaging around 80-100 lately.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lcarter

lcarter Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

What sort of carbs do you have out of interest? I dont want to go into ketosis due to levels but im unsure what carbs to eat? Thanks

7. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I avoid rice and pasta, peas, carrots.
    I eat bread as I find that ok to carb count for. Porridge oats as well.
    It's probably one of those individual things - finding what works for you and is sustainable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. limmi

limmi Type 1 · Member

I eat around 100g carb a day, i do 20g each main meal and 3 snacks less than 10g each + 10g for coffee. I inject 1-2 unit novorapid for main meals and none for snacks n coffee as my basal lantus takes care of it. I avoid all cereals, most fruit and eat minimal amounts of starchy veg eg potatoes , sweet potatoes. So far this routine seems sustainable. I tried doing super low carb but it didnt work out. I love my carrots too much :p i hope you find a carb/insulin balance that works for you too :)

#8 limmi, Sep 20, 2018 at 3:03 AM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018 at 3:17 AM
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook