MODY - Gliclazide & Weight gain - Why?

Mr MODY

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Senior Diabetic Nurse informs me that Gliclazide is shown to work well with Mature Onset Diabetes in the Young.
I came off it last time when I kept putting on weight and learned that is a side effect.
Having lost a little control I have now agreed to go back on but already although it is only 20mg I am still gaining weight.

Why or how does this happen with this drug?

Last edited:

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Senior Diabetic Nurse informs me that Gliclazide is shown to work well with Mature Onset Diabetes in the Young.
I came off it last time when I kept putting on weight and learned that is a side effect.
Having lost a little control I have now agreed to go back on but already although it is only 20mg I am still gaining weight.

Why or how does this happen with this drug?
I’ve been on 20mg of gliclazide for 2.5 years & haven’t put any weight on
Do you find it’s making you more hungry & you’re eating more, or are you eating the same amount as before?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Gliclazide firces you to produce more insulin, this will force your body to utilise any excess glucose, any unneeded glucose for energy will be stored as fat hence the weight gain

So controlled diet is also required to help prevent this

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am underweight and take gliclazide but struggle to put weight on .Typical !!

Mr MODY

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all.

In my 55 years I have never truly calorie counted or been on a diet other than try and not eat sugar.
On Sunday evening I downloaded an app that enables me to understand the calorific content of what I consume.
@searley - I think my nurse mentioned that as well - so if I am overeating due to habit - then that will be why I am gaining weight.
@DEBBIESCOTT - my hunger feeling is less on the Gliclazide but I am still eating from habit and not listening to my body enough.
My aim with the food app is to understand what I am eating and to help me not 'think' I need something to eat at a certain time.

What I do need to consider as well is that I am currently over medicating. I am waiting for the nurse to seek guidance from her team as I am on heart meds as well and we are not sure what needs to be changed or reduced.

Last edited: