Monitor

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are the monitors where you you just scan it on your arm worth it? And how do I go about getting one?

Reactions: Snapsy

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: azure and Prem51

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As an ancient type 2 (LCHF diet and ex metformin managed) on a lowish pension, I think they're worth every penny for the detailed and continuous information they provide me with. I can't imagine just how much more they must help those of us needing insulin. Probably one of the best diabetic management tools I use (in spite of some recent issues I've had....)

If you can afford to, just give them a try, and see how you get on with them.

Robbity

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have one, type 2/pre diabetes (consultant has over ruled GP diagnosis of type 2!)
I find it really helpful in seeing exactly what different foods do to my sugar levels. I will only use it for 2 weeks every 4-6 weeks to keep a check. The sensors are around £50 each

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Are the monitors where you you just scan it on your arm worth it? And how do I go about getting one?

I'm a type II and definitely worth it for me because my BG seems to have a mind of it's own and goes up many hours after eating a low carb meal. I bought mine from the Abbott website which is where I continue to get the sensors. There is an app so you don't necessarily have to buy the reader for the sensors, I don't know how others have got on with the mobile phone app, I'm struggling to get it to work, so reader is OK for me.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's a life changing piece of kit for me, @joshluck . I can highly recommend it and can't be without it. Do a search on the forum for 'Freestyle Libre' - loads of people's experiences are up there and it will give you a really good idea as to what it's like.

There is nothing quite like waking up in the morning and finding out what your blood sugar's been doing all through the night. See below! And I find it very very useful for exercise, and work, and unexpectedly busy and/or inactive times - I can see where my trend is and whether I need to stave off an impending hypo, or whatever. It's incredible.

:)

image.jpeg