Monitors

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the best monitor to use.
Its not about whats the best if you are self funding a meter really, its about what you can afford, the test strips are rather expensive! the cheapest know is the SD Codefree meter x

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

As @kaylz91 has stated, if you are self funding then you need to be aware of the ongoing cost of test strips which ain't cheap!

As a T1 my stuff is on prescription but I've bought strips in the past and they are in the region of £25 for 50 depending on where I get them from. SD Codefree is currently advertising £7.69 for 50 strips so you can see the difference!

Some of the forum members will be able to supply you with a code to get discounts on bulk orders too.

This link takes you to the web page of the UK distributor,

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And here are the discount codes and how to use them.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:

5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49

10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98

Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips. For the bulk discount on strips for the SD Codefree, you need to complete the order (check the boxes to confirm that you are diabetic and the number of packs that you want). Then click on view basket and on the left hand side of the window you will see two boxes .. Coupon Code and Apply Coupon. Enter the relevant discount code in the first box and then click the Apply Coupon box. This applies the discount and adjusts the price .. and finally, you then proceed to checkout.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a glucose nexus Rex. I am on insulin so get strips prescribed. The monitor is good simple & easy to use

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the sd codefree as mentioned by @bulkbiker with the discount codes it take the price down to just under £6 per 50 strips so I can test as much as I want. Meter is basic and if you were on insulin that you might well look at alternatives.

P

pollensa

Hi, not sure if your question is which is best monitor i.e the one that is most practical and does not hurt, or one has to push blood out or your referring to cost factoring strips and lancets?

If its just which is best monitor, I..e i.e. to draw blood from finger I would say the best on the market without any doubt is GENTEEL. Amazing blood sugar tester it sucks the blood up with pressure system, no pain, no squeezing to get sufficient blood or sore fingers. The Monitor is so clever, you just hear a click, you hold down until you see the blood appear lift off, and then place the monitor with strip onto the blood zone as normal.

The Genteel, one can test on arms, palms, above knee wherever you like. There are 6 different gradings for depth, in colour combinations, just change the colour for deeper penetration if its on knee arm, wherever, and used also for finger, no matter the depth, there is no pain, no pressing for blood truly amazing.....

Not cheap 120 Euros, but...to save, sore fingers and practicality and function, its worth every euro.

Hope this helps.