Mono filament foot check

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi fir years my annual foot check has been done with the filament on various parts of foot and toes. My last check was at a new clinic and they just ran a small wheel thing once from heel to middle toe. It didn't seem as thorough as the mono filament check. I have not come across this in my 25 years as a diabetic. Does anyone know anything about this wheel thingy.

TriciaNT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Richard
Part of your annual diabetic foot check should include checking certain areas of both your feet with a 10g monofilament. This is the NHS ‘gold standard’ and the reason for using this particular monofilament is because if you cannot detect this filament you have crossed the threshold whereby you may have a wound/injury to your foot and you may not realise it. I have been a Podiatrist for 14 yrs and I uave never heard nor seen anything you describe as a wheel. Sadly, I have seen many patients who are either not having their annual foot inspection (which should also include checking bloodflow, ideally with a Doppler, as well as inspecting the feet for any corns, callus etc) or they are being undertaken incorrectly. I suspect it is a HCA who has done your foot check as this seems to be the norm. I would query with your GP practice why the clinician didn’t use a monofilament and whether you can have another foot check. It is so important to have this done every year and done correctly. Hope this helps.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Richard
Part of your annual diabetic foot check should include checking certain areas of both your feet with a 10g monofilament. This is the NHS ‘gold standard’ and the reason for using this particular monofilament is because if you cannot detect this filament you have crossed the threshold whereby you may have a wound/injury to your foot and you may not realise it. I have been a Podiatrist for 14 yrs and I uave never heard nor seen anything you describe as a wheel. Sadly, I have seen many patients who are either not having their annual foot inspection (which should also include checking bloodflow, ideally with a Doppler, as well as inspecting the feet for any corns, callus etc) or they are being undertaken incorrectly. I suspect it is a HCA who has done your foot check as this seems to be the norm. I would query with your GP practice why the clinician didn’t use a monofilament and whether you can have another foot check. It is so important to have this done every year and done correctly. Hope this helps.

Thank you TriciaNT . What is an HCA ? My surgery used to have a dedicated diabetic nurse, but my recent examination was done by a nurse. I suspect it was a box-ticking procedure to enable gp to meet their targets, without doing the work. Thank you again.

Last edited by a moderator:

TriciaNT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A HCA is a Health Care Assistant so not a nurse but many undertake nursing duties without, in some cases, no qualifications. Yes, GP practices get a payment for every diabetic review (as well as checks for other conditions) and unfortunately it can be just a box ticking exercise. It is vital your foot check is done properly to detect any early sensory and/or vascular changes.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I have looked up my GP electronic record and it shows they have done a monofilament foot check, even though they did not. I have written to my GP asking them to explain. I want to keep my feet for as long as possible. Thanks again for your expert response.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Caprock94

I had the monofilament test and passed it with ease. Blood pressure to feet also good. Yet I still have the burning pain. No numbness or pins and needles.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had this years Diabetic foot check. The nurse did check pulses, but did not use the monofilament gadjet. this time she ran a nylon brush once from the heel to toe. She claimed it was an official foot test gadjet. Has anyone heard of this ? Internet sedarch reveals nothing.

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here. My most recent foot test consisted of a nurse jabbing me quite hard in the sole with a pen and asking if I could feel it. Well yes, but....

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Likewise. Nurse checked pulses then touched each toe with a pen! No mention of the seed corn which I have since had removed privately. This was the nurse who advocated low carb - hooray - then gave me her life history! I read my consultation notes online later and some of them were a complete work of fiction. More box ticking.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Likewise. Nurse checked pulses then touched each toe with a pen! No mention of the seed corn which I have since had removed privately. This was the nurse who advocated low carb - hooray - then gave me her life history! I read my consultation notes online later and some of them were a complete work of fiction. More box ticking.

I know what you mean. I had a thorough (phone) conversation with a Diabetes Nurse, my hb1ac, etc was all ok but I knew she would mention my cholesterol, total 7.9 (HDL 2.5, trigs 0.5, LDL 4.8). I spoke about my diet which actually isn't high fat at all even though there's nowt wrong with that and we discussed the virtues of LCHF against high carb, I spoke about my low carb diet of up to 130 carbs a day, I spoke about my ratios. She agreed with everything I said, told me I was doing 'really good' as if I was a child but I do get that they deal with lots of us. Then a week later an 'agreed plan' arrived from her, the first thing written all over it was 'advised about a low fat diet and to avoid saturated fats re high cholesterol', I was livid! It sounds OTT and what does it matter really, but I cannot stand things being made up. Apart from which if she'd delved a bit further she would have known that my higher than 'average' LDL is down to polygenic genetics....and it's quite well recognised these days that your food provides a very small amount of cholesterol anyway.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see that 10g monofilaments are available on Amazon so it would be possible, with someone's help, to do a home test.