Morning blood sugar @9.3

r2501

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all. I’m new here! Thanks for the help in advance :)

I have been type 2 for 18 months and currently live in Kenya (British, and travel home often). Being in Kenya brings diet challenges as we don’t have the variety of the uk, and food in generally is carbohydrates here.

This morning I decided to test my BS before my normal porridge. 9.3 upon waking up at 7am. I am shocked, I don’t know why it’s this high, and what I can do about it.

I take metformin 500g twice daily, but starting to wonder if this is not working effectively? Last night I ate a small serving of pasta and minced meat, and as I said we have no processed foods here so I know there was no hidden ingredients.

Wondering if 9.3 means I need to go for diabetic review ASAP? What’s your advise? Thanks for the help. Rachel.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @r2501 I wouldn't stress about one fbg of 9.3. A single reading can be influenced by various factors including stress, tiredness, infection and heat. And fbgs can be the highest of the day because of Dawn Phenomenon
What are your bg readings like generally? If they are usually within range, (4-7 before eating, and no more than 8.5 two hours after eating) a single reading of 9.3 could be just a freak reading.
You will know pasta is high carb. You could try cooking pasta the day before, cooling in fridge overnight, then reheating, which is supposed to make it more starch resistant.

M

Member496333

Just to add, and I realise I’m being pernickety, but pasta is a processed food. It’s made from highly refined flour and, actually, is also really quite a glucose burden on the body.

ViolaChiri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. I’m new here! Thanks for the help in advance :)

I have been type 2 for 18 months and currently live in Kenya (British, and travel home often). Being in Kenya brings diet challenges as we don’t have the variety of the uk, and food in generally is carbohydrates here.

This morning I decided to test my BS before my normal porridge. 9.3 upon waking up at 7am. I am shocked, I don’t know why it’s this high, and what I can do about it.

I take metformin 500g twice daily, but starting to wonder if this is not working effectively? Last night I ate a small serving of pasta and minced meat, and as I said we have no processed foods here so I know there was no hidden ingredients.

Wondering if 9.3 means I need to go for diabetic review ASAP? What’s your advise? Thanks for the help. Rachel.
Hi Rachel, I'm Kenyan and living in Kenya and agree that most of our staple foods are carbohydrates and options are not as varied as the UK, however if you live in Nairobi you should be able to get a good range of ingredients, vegetables etc from the local markets and supermarkets. Try to eliminate or reduce your carb intake as much as possible and maybe try intermittent fasting if it appeals to you as that is what has helped me the most in controlling my sugars.

Reactions: Prem51

r2501

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just to add, and I realise I’m being pernickety, but pasta is a processed food. It’s made from highly refined flour and, actually, is also really quite a glucose burden on the body.
Hi Jim. You are correct, what I meant and didn’t express well was there was no processed sauce etc.