Morning BS Reading

gilbertsweet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning, my fasting BS is 7.7. I'm trying to keep it below 7 or even 6. My HbA1c used to be at 5.4 but now my last one was 6.4. It's creeping up.

I introduce myself. I'm T2 diabetic for the last 12 years. Medicated on long-acting Metformin (500mg, twice a day). Married with 3 teenaged children. A Singaporean. I work as a mental health practitioner in a rehab setting. Enjoying it in terms of self-understanding and developing and cultivating skills to attend to myself and others under my care. Works wonders for me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @gilbertsweet and welcome to the forum. The National Health Service here in the UK also tells diabetics to take metafornin to counter their diabetes and to continue eating carbohydrates. Carbs turn to sugars in our bodies so T2s usually just get worse needing more meds and ultimately probably needing insulin. It is now considered by some doctors as an outdated and wrong treatment.
On this forum many of us T2s have found that adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has reduced our blood sugar levels. This means apart from cutting out sugars we avoid or reduce, as much as possible, starchy carbs like rice, noodles, potatoes, bread and pasta, and eat more healthy fats like dairy products, avocadoes, nuts and oily fish, and proteins - eggs, meat and pulses are good,
Exercise can also help to reduce bs levels.
Have a read round the threads to see how this works and ask any questions you want, the people on here are friendly and supportive.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
welcome @gilbertsweet - Sorry to hear your morning BGL are creeping up. Do you have any idea what it could be? Perhaps your medication dosage isn't right or something? You've posted under the T2 on insulin section so not sure your post will be seen by the other T2's on meds like you are. I'm on insulin to treat my diabetes. I used to be on meds years back. I would suggest checking what your bed time reading is and making sure that isn't too high or too low and then see if you're getting the same high BGL in the mornings. If you are, then probably time to review your diet and medication with your doc. I wish you the best. :)

Tagging @daisy1 to give you the welcome to the forum information.

Edit: I had diabetes for 12 years myself when I found out I no longer produce the insulin I need (c-peptide test result showed that). That could be a possibility for you too... may be worth asking for the diagnostic tests to be done again to double check what your body is actually doing. Eg. you may still be producing sufficient insulin, then you may not be either like I was... that would explain the higher numbers if that is the result for you. I was put on insulin therapy straight off when that result showed I didn't produce sufficient insulin. I've had better management ever since.

Reactions: ickihun and Prem51
A

asparagusp

Good morning, my fasting BS is 7.7. I'm trying to keep it below 7 or even 6. My HbA1c used to be at 5.4 but now my last one was 6.4. It's creeping up.

Only two readings so give it a few days more. It's possible you are fighting an infection/whatever and you sugar will return to your normal levels.

gilbertsweet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's 10.22 pm in Singapore and my late night reading is 8.8. Will wait till morning for what my next reading prick test will reveal.

Reactions: Prem51 and Mep

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

I introduce myself. I'm T2 diabetic for the last 12 years. Medicated on long-acting Metformin (500mg, twice a day). Married with 3 teenaged children. A Singaporean. I work as a mental health practitioner in a rehab setting. Enjoying it in terms of self-understanding and developing and cultivating skills to attend to myself and others under my care. Works wonders for me!

Gilbertsweet, I think your morning numbers are quite good. I used to have such numbers and I do take metformin and glyclizide. I started with 80mg glyclazide 8 yrs ago and 3x500 metformin, but after 8 yrs I had to increase glyclazide by 40mg as I had higher bg's Now, in the morning my bg's even on 80 my numbers are 9.50 to 13.00 I don't understand it and my dr. does not think it is that important. At least I don't feel sick, just tired. Does anyone have Dawn Syndrome for those numbers?

Reactions: Prem51

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@gilbertsweet

Hello Gilbert and welcome to the forum :) Here as mentioned above, is the basic information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 220,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

gilbertsweet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Erin, I'm lifted by your words. I want to go to as close to non diabetic readings as possible without getting into a hypo.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My bs reading after fast is 7 mmol/mg from previous night reading of 8.8.

Yeh my endo likes me to have 5-6 in the mornings. But mine can vary as I sometimes get 7's as well... had a 7.1 this morning. But most mornings I'm around 6 mark.

You may be affected by the dawn phenomenon perhaps? But if your hbA1c is getting higher it just may a review of diet and meds that you need. Your hbA1c although creeping up is still below 7 which is what they like to see. But I can understand your concern as you want to keep it the lowest you can get it.

As I mentioned already because you've had diabetes for 12 years now it may be worth getting diagnostic tests done to just check you're on the right treatment. I'd say you probably do still produce insulin because when I was having problems at 12 year mark my hbA1c was 9.2 and it was the highest I'd ever had. My docs agreed something must be wrong and they found what it was for me. I still want to work on my hbA1c but I find my other health conditions interfere with my diabetes management a fair bit. Considering what i deal with my endo is happy I manage to keep my hbA1c below 7 mostly... sometimes it is on 7 or 7.1 but not higher. I'd love to get my hbA1c down in the 5's but I also know that would be low numbers on my meter mostly which just doesn't happen all the time. I have my good and bad days.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @gilbertsweet. < 5mmol was what my Endocrinologist suggested for those who are younger...

And that I believe was the best advice he had given... :D

gilbertsweet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@kokhongw, sounds like you've achieved it. Congratulations. For me at 51 (52 next week), I'll content myself with a reasonable healthy range of bs reading although desirably closer to a 6. Will try.....

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

gilbertsweet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ Mep. I'll trod on but not paranoid about it. The low carb programme makes good common sense because that was what I did initially with some difficulty in our Asian food which is fat rich and carb high.

Reactions: Mep and ickihun