Morning BS rising??

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nuts, cheese, tea and coffee
My morning blood sugars over the last 10 days have been rising gradually, this morning it was 9.9. I was diagnosed in March 2018 with Hba1c of 97 and managed to get it down to 39 in September. I do my sugars at a similar time each morning and they have been fairly stable. By evening my sugars are usually about 5.3 before tea.

Any ideas or suggestions on why this is happening and what I can do to get it back down.

I currently take Metformin 1000mg x2 daily and ideally want to be able to come of this medication in the not to near future, especially if I can keep my levels in this range.

D

Deleted Account

It is common for someone with diabetes to have a higher BG in the morning.
This is due to Dawn Phenomenon (DP).
DP happens for most people. Our livers release glucose to give us the energy to start our day. A healthy pancreas will release enough insulin to convert this glucose to energy.
Less healthy pancreases struggle to release enough insulin so our BG starts to rise.

Take a look around the forum for "Dawn Phenomenon" and you will see lots of threads on the subject including some suggestions how to minimise the affect.

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It is common for someone with diabetes to have a higher BG in the morning.
This is due to Dawn Phenomenon (DP).
DP happens for most people. Our livers release glucose to give us the energy to start our day. A healthy pancreas will release enough insulin to convert this glucose to energy.
Less healthy pancreases struggle to release enough insulin so our BG starts to rise.

Take a look around the forum for "Dawn Phenomenon" and you will see lots of threads on the subject including some suggestions how to minimise the affect.[/

lrostron

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Thank you I'll have a look. I'm worried because over the last 6 months my morning figures have usually been about 6.6 and for some reason this has started to increase over the last 10 days???

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My morning blood sugars over the last 10 days have been rising gradually, this morning it was 9.9. I was diagnosed in March 2018 with Hba1c of 97 and managed to get it down to 39 in September. I do my sugars at a similar time each morning and they have been fairly stable. By evening my sugars are usually about 5.3 before tea.

Any ideas or suggestions on why this is happening and what I can do to get it back down.

I currently take Metformin 1000mg x2 daily and ideally want to be able to come of this medication in the not to near future, especially if I can keep my levels in this range.

Hello there!
If your BSL have been rising not more than the last 10 days, I don't think there is a big problem yet. I hope you have checked your blood sugar more or less equally long time, after you have eaten. In other cases that could be part of the problem. Your levels will also depend on what you are eating, and how much. It could also bee, that you need to change your medication, but that is something we don't have any authority to do here - if your levels keep on rising, contact your GP or someone who can legally recommend any changes.
It could of course also be, that you have some kind of inflammation or other problem, that has not clearly showed the flag yet...
Take care!

Edited to say
P.S. Just hit me, that you maybe have not had Dawn Phenomenon-reactions before.? Fully possible, namely...

Last edited: