Type 2 Morning FBG Mystery

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning every morning I get up wash my hands and sit down and test my FBG but there is a variation in my results,to give an example this morning first test was 5.2 ,10 minutes later 2nd test 4.7 now this happens every morning starts off in the 5's ten minutes later drops to 4's,any ideas why this is,and which reading is the true one,thank you my friends:)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning every morning I get up wash my hands and sit down and test my FBG but there is a variation in my results,to give an example this morning first test was 5.2 ,10 minutes later 2nd test 4.7 now this happens every morning starts off in the 5's ten minutes later drops to 4's,any ideas why this is,and which reading is the true one,thank you my friends:)
You're highly unlikely to get the same identical reading on your meter when doing tests in close succession. The variations you're seeing (difference of 0.5mmol/l) is simply due to the error margin in your meter.

In accordance with the latest ISO '13 standards (assuming your meter is new), it will be displaying a value at +/- 15% of your actual. Measured blood glucose level, 95% of the time. Your meter falls well within that percentage so there's nothing amiss here:)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html

Reactions: Prem51

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Good morning @wiseowl_123
The new standard for meter accuracy (since May 2016) is +/- 15%
the second table on this page http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html
Shows that a meter reading of 5.0 is anywhere between 4.17 and 5.83 a range of 1.66
So your results of 5.2 to 4.7, a range of just 0.5 are basically the same.
The only way to get a truly accurate reading would be in a lab. We are testing with a meter that cost just a few pounds and little cardboard strips that cost a few pence so the +/-15% accuracy is hardly surprising

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I right in thinking that you have just been moving around (bathroom, washing, getting dressed, etc.) just before you take that first reading?

Since I have been wearing a Freestyle Libre I have noticed a consistent and very clear rise in blood glucose immediately after getting up and moving around. Then if I sit down again, my bg goes back to its normal level within a few minutes. I can't say that I understand why it happens, but it does. Consistently.

For instance,
-if I wake up in the night and take my blood glucose, my blood glucose is (for example) 5.7. But five minutes later, after standing up, trekking to the bathroom and returning to bed, my blood glucose will be 5.9. Five minutes after that, it will have dropped to 5.7 again.
-if I have been sitting at my desk for several hours, my blood glucose is (for example) 6.2. And if I get up, make a cup of tea, go upstairs, come back to my desk and test again, my blood glucose will be 6.5, and drop down to 6.2 after a few minutes.

Don't know why it happens, but it does, over and over and over again.
So now I tend to just ignore it, and take each reading as an approx one.

Reactions: Tophat1900

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Am I right in thinking that you have just been moving around (bathroom, washing, getting dressed, etc.) just before you take that first reading?

Since I have been wearing a Freestyle Libre I have noticed a consistent and very clear rise in blood glucose immediately after getting up and moving around. Then if I sit down again, my bg goes back to its normal level within a few minutes. I can't say that I understand why it happens, but it does. Consistently.

For instance,
-if I wake up in the night and take my blood glucose, my blood glucose is (for example) 5.7. But five minutes later, after standing up, trekking to the bathroom and returning to bed, my blood glucose will be 5.9. Five minutes after that, it will have dropped to 5.7 again.
-if I have been sitting at my desk for several hours, my blood glucose is (for example) 6.2. And if I get up, make a cup of tea, go upstairs, come back to my desk and test again, my blood glucose will be 6.5, and drop down to 6.2 after a few minutes.

Don't know why it happens, but it does, over and over and over again.
So now I tend to just ignore it, and take each reading as an approx one.
I have identical results. Getting ready for a swim used to up my bgs by approx 2mmol/l higher. Then the stress of the swim another 1-2mmol/l it used to lower my good bgs later in the day to give a hypo.
All fun and games from my liver etc. My answer was pork scratchings before getting ready for swim.
I think our answer would be to eat on waking, in bed.
Good excuse for breakfast in bed. Ha ha a dying treat.
It definitely works for me. However I struggle to sustain it. Too busy on a morning unless pork scratchings on bedside cabinet but levothyroxine on empty stomach takes priority really.
I considered taking levothyroxine at a different time but then forgot to take it so caused a bigger problem.
Eating immediately works for me but definitely not practical.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning @GrantGam @catinahat @Brunneria @ickihun many thanks for your your helpful and friendly replies my friends very much appreciated,its just that I didn't want to deceive anyone including myself , I didn't know which one to post on the early morning FBG thread every day;)

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good morning @GrantGam and @asparagusp my friends and thank you for your replies,much appreciated as always,I have just set up my SDcodefree software and I am very pleased with it it will save me writing it all out every day and when I want it for the diabetic nurse(when I have one)or the doctor all I have to do is print a copy out,isn't technology wonderful,it will work all my averages out it fact at the click of a key I will do anything:)

This is only half of the page as I didn't want to bore you with to much detail;)

ABG Levels.JPG
ABG Levels.JPG

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The difference in readings is clearly an indicator your meter is possessed. :wideyed:

Ok, not really. :)

I wouldn't be concerned. Seems like you are doing pretty good. You are happy with those numbers, right?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Good morning @GrantGam @catinahat @Brunneria @ickihun many thanks for your your helpful and friendly replies my friends very much appreciated,its just that I didn't want to deceive anyone including myself , I didn't know which one to post on the early morning FBG thread every day;)
Either meter reading will be ok, just stick to that one on postings if it would make you feel better. Middle reading would probables make more sense.
It is the fact whether increased or decreased which is the relevance of the meter. I guess on morning threads too. The reading is so you know how your progressing. Most importantly to see your reward for your hard work.

Reactions: wiseowl_123