Type 2 Morning figures

paulandbez

Hi all. My morning figures are always between 7.8 and 9. I take 500mg Metformin & 80mg Gliclazide morning & tea time. Here's my question - I measured my blood at 5.30 this morning and it was 9. I measured it again at 8.30. I had not eaten or drank anything. Why after 3 hours had it not fallen? Any ideas? Thanks.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Google dawn phenomenon, it may be part of your problem.
Your body believes in homeostasis, an equilibrium state where it regulates blood temperature & blood sugar.
Ideally it tries to keep your blood sugar between 4 to 5.6 when in a fasted state.
Your body is either not producing enough insulin or is resistant to the insulin you are producing keeping you at this high level.

Are you overweight by any chance or have a large waist circumference.
Your insulin resistance may be caused by visceral fat smothering your liver & pancreas.
You could however have a genetic disposition which can be mitigated through low carb eating & exercise.

Note as your figures begin to improve your fasting levels will be the last to come down, often taking months after postprandials are regularised.

paulandbez

Thanks ronancastled
What you say make sense. According to government figures I'm probably 10lbs overweight. It seems low carb is the way to go. I appreciate your reply.