Morning glucose readings

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I’m living with type 1 diabetes, have done for 9 years now, and for the last few weeks my sugars are so high in the mornings (i even set alarms now just to check they haven’t gone too high).

Take last night, i went to bed at 8.9 mmol, i woke up at 4 at 10.7mmol so i injected a small amount. I woke up again at 6 at 8.9 mmol and now i am up at 8 at 15!!!

This has happened a bunch of times, and even if i go to sleep at 6 or 7 mmol they eventually creep there way up to really high numbers from about 5/6 o clock onwards! I feel like if i raise my long lasting insulin it may drop me in the night because they only seem to shoot up early hours in the morning!

Please help

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Although the last couple of weeks have been quite good for me, I get this a lot.

I think I've identified that one contributing factor for me is that my partner's nursing shift finishes at 8pm, 4 nights a week. So we eat late and whilst my blood sugar levels are usually OK at bedtime, a carby evening meal sees my levels rising by 5mmol or more around 3am.

You can experiment with low(er) carb meals in the evening, or changing your insulin timings. Which insulin are you on and when do you inject? (Some basal insulins do not remain effective in the body for as long the manufacturers claim.)

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Novorapid for my fast acting and Levemir for my slow acting. I split my levemir so i do that at 8-9pm and then again in the morning. Usually i eat around 7-8 but some nights it’s a bit later! Thank you for the help! I’m considering also injecting my levemir at 10-11pm instead

Richard101

I used to suffer horrendously from the Dawn Phenomenon (which is what you're experiencing by the sound of it). In my case the meals I ate and at what time didn't make an appreciable difference. The one thing which resolved the DP for me was changing from injections to an insulin pump 10 years ago - that allowed me to exactly tailor my background insulin dose to meet my body's needs.