Morning Highs - Any Tips?

Red_Fox22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Relatively newly diagnosed LADA - was misdiagnosed as T2 in Jan 2017 but this was changed to LADA in Jan 2018 following a GAD test.

I am currently managing on diet and metformin alone and my glucose levels are fine during the day but I have noticed I often have night sweats and wake up high (11 mmol/l) irrespective what I eat the night before.

Clearly I need to investigate this and am due to see my consultant on 8 September.

But in the meantime, does anyone have any wisdom to impart?

Thanks

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Red_Fox22, Just a guess from my own experience as a diabetic: sometimes night sweats happen when someone is experiencing a low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia = low sugar(glucose) in the blood = hypo (slang)). When a low blood sugar occurs the body responds by releasing adrenaline and glucagon, both hormones that stimulate the liver to release stored glucose into the blood stream. (and release of adenaline may cause sweats)
This released glucose increases the blood sugar level usually to normal levels but in the case where someone is diabetic an 'overshoot' of blood sugar to levels above normal.(nad so might explain the 11 mmol/l reading).
Our brain mainly uses glucose for fuel and can get mighty tetchy if 'fuel supplies' start to dwindle.
To check for the above possibility as the cause of your symptoms and findings, a regular monitoring of your BSLs at night (? hourly ? 2 hourly) might be needed to see whether a dip to say 4 mmol/l or less and /or
at what BSLs level do these 'sweats' start to occur at ?
With these results done you need to discuss them with /see your dsn/doctor. Also whilst my reading suggests that low blood sugar is not usual on diet and Metformin the above testing helps to clarify what might or might not be happening.
If the above monitoring does not solve the puzzle, your dsn and doctor are your go-to people for solving your troubles, as a Google reveals there are many causes of night sweats.
If other symptoms develop you may need to approach dsn/doctor more urgently.
Best Wishes for a quick discovery and resolution of your troubles. Please post us about your journey if you would be able to ?

Tennisplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I too suffer from frequent night sweats related to changing blood sugar. My doctor believes I am highly sensitive to insulin but I am only taking Tresiba now. It occurs less frequently when my diet is low carb and lower fat. Doc recommended frequent exercise and lots of water. When I was misdiagnosed as T2 and taking metformin it was worse. In the US, you can trial a cgm. Perhaps you can ask your provider for a 2 week trial at your next appointment?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Relatively newly diagnosed LADA - was misdiagnosed as T2 in Jan 2017 but this was changed to LADA in Jan 2018 following a GAD test.

I am currently managing on diet and metformin alone and my glucose levels are fine during the day but I have noticed I often have night sweats and wake up high (11 mmol/l) irrespective what I eat the night before.

Clearly I need to investigate this and am due to see my consultant on 8 September.

But in the meantime, does anyone have any wisdom to impart?

Thanks
If you're LADA, you should be put on insulin. I would probably have night sweats being in double digits.

notria

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am LADA (5 years, based on GAD>2000), not on insulin. Had a night sweat this morning when I woke up and tested and was 7.3 (which is high for me). I was expecting a 5 or below based on the theory. I had had a couple of glasses of wine last night and no late food and so was expecting it to be on the lower side.