Morning highs

subortna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and by that I mean I haven't posted questions before but I'm not new to diabetes, I have been type 1 for 37 years (55 yrs old now) but only this year have been on the basal bolus regime which has brought my hba1c down to 55 from 75. The problem I'm having at the moment is I'm going to bed with fairly good bgs of around 5 but my morning bgs have been coming in around 9 and 10!. I never go to bed before midnight and usually have my dinner around 7.30pm so my last test should have taken into account whatever I've eaten. Any clues or suggestions would be welcome.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
May well be that your basal insulin needs increasing, try testing your bg levels through the night to see how they behave, if your bg gradually increases then this would mean your basal insulin needs increasing, if unsure what to do speak with your DSN.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead is right, and here is a good guide to conduct a basal rate test:

https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

There are some other reasons as to why your morning readings may be high, such as when you take your basal insulin, whether you have one daily basal injection or two. The latter (split dose approach) may benefit you if you find (through a basal rate test) that your insulin isn't quite working for the 24 hour period.

It's always best to seek the guidance from your diabetes team before amending basal doses. However, if you feel confident doing this yourself - then it's advisable to make adjustments no greater than 10% at a time to avoid hypos.