Morning rising bloods

Smotyn74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I am struggling with my bloods at the moment particularly first thing in the morning. When I get up they are about 8 ish but by the time I have breakfast they will be up to 10. I am gluten intolerant dairy free and can't touch cheese or chocolate with a bargepole due to migraines. I eat a small amount of porridge for breakfast (not a lot of other choices that dont take long to prepare) and then I have meat and veg/salad the rest of the day. I might have a small amount (heaped tablespoon) of sweet potato mash with my meal. Is it better to eat breakfast earlier or later or just forgo it till my bloods come down? How can I reduce this please? I currently take 1 500mg metformin a day but I am being threatened with this being increased as I did get out of control last year and hba1c was 53. My afternoon evening bloods are in the 6 and 7's. I am trying so hard to get back on track but just don't know how to help this?

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For me - porridge is a not a good choice - when first diagnosed I switched into eating porridge for breakfast thinking it was a healthy choice - it was only via the education from this forum that I started to look at the carb % of foods I was consuming - from memory I think porridge is about 65% carb ? ( 65g of carb per 100g) - I try not to eat anything greater than 10% carbs. For breakfast ideas , I tend to have fried bacon/egg Or scrambled egg or boiled eggs, or avocado and a bit a salmon/poached egg - Greek yoghurt with a small amount of berries - non of which take especially long time to prepare ? - for some people - skipping breakfast altogether can be effective ( don't work for me though ) - have you tried keeping a food diary ? - if you test just before eating, and then 2 hours after you will be able to see what foods are moving your BG levels and adjust accordingly ?

Reactions: dbr10
D

Deleted member 371625

The advice on eggs, bacon, avocado etc. is excellent. Try to spend half an hour twice a day walking too, a hard walk not a stroll. This will help with insulin resistance / metabolic syndrome as well as weight loss (if you need it).
I cut my carbs to 100-120g/day, added the walking, and reduced FBG from 14 on diagnosis to below 6 within a few weeks. It has been below 4.5 without meds for almost a year now (and carbs increased to 180g/day).
Testing and seeing what works for you is the best bet. What worked for me (or anyone else) is a useful guide only.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I don't have an answer, but the same thing is happening to me. I'm not on meds though, and have super low cal breakfasts and eat lots of cheese, so we have different backgrounds. I think I'd seen something similar on a forum where someone said that eating close to waking up was their solution to stop it happening, so that's my next plan of action as I also eat quite a while after waking up.

I too am looking for a solution!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sorry, I don't have an answer, but the same thing is happening to me. I'm not on meds though, and have super low cal breakfasts and eat lots of cheese, so we have different backgrounds. I think I'd seen something similar on a forum where someone said that eating close to waking up was their solution to stop it happening, so that's my next plan of action as I also eat quite a while after waking up.

I too am looking for a solution!
Yes. Catching the liver dump on rising can be done with cheese cubes next to your bed, so on wakening you nibble til you eat lunch maybe.
I've used almonds in the past but too many nuts can stop my weight loss. Also I get tougue ulcers.
Ham or pork scratchings. Any fatty protein will block the liver rising me 2mmol/l too.
I prefer a block before bed but since starting toujeo300 basal insulin it can be hit or miss.
Eating as soon as you rise is very beneficial.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all, I am struggling with my bloods at the moment particularly first thing in the morning. When I get up they are about 8 ish but by the time I have breakfast they will be up to 10. I am gluten intolerant dairy free and can't touch cheese or chocolate with a bargepole due to migraines. I eat a small amount of porridge for breakfast (not a lot of other choices that dont take long to prepare) and then I have meat and veg/salad the rest of the day. I might have a small amount (heaped tablespoon) of sweet potato mash with my meal. Is it better to eat breakfast earlier or later or just forgo it till my bloods come down? How can I reduce this please? I currently take 1 500mg metformin a day but I am being threatened with this being increased as I did get out of control last year and hba1c was 53. My afternoon evening bloods are in the 6 and 7's. I am trying so hard to get back on track but just don't know how to help this?
What are your readings before sleep? Is 8 typical before bed too?
If your 6s then arising on 8s then 10s by breakfast, those 4mmol/l's all add up on your hba1cs.

Smotyn74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes 8 before bed can be typical as often have to go to bed early so don't necessarily have 3 hours after eating. Will try eating something as early as possible to stop the rise and see how that works. Would love the cheese as adore it but will be crippled with migraine before the day was out if did that so will try the nuts for the rest of the week. Will also get some eggs and bacon cooked up when i can get some so can nibble them as don't have any time to cook in the morning.
Thanks for the advice.