Most Stressful Day For A While..

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I woke up going hypo (sweating and everything) had to wait for a while before I could move.. tried to book taxi to take me to hospital for appointment with surgeon at foot clinic but couldn't get one now running out of time so go the only route I know (bear in mind I've only been to this hospital once and was taken in car).. walk to bus stop 20 mins away..

Get on bus and looking at google maps think the bus might actually be taking me off course so get off it and get on next one.. the driver starts shouting at me for getting on "couldnt you see it was full the doors were only opening to let people off" (the previous bus had been empty but there was a problem getting on due to woman with pushchair) and after being summoned to front I explain that I'm registered blind and couldn't see through the darkened windows.. "Well how did you see the doors to get on it then??" (I'm too stressed and late etc to care was basically in tears).. I get off when I think I'm in walking distance to hospital.. I walk half an hour to get there and get there 7 mins late.. no problem.

Get to appointment 7 mins late (I'm not sure how the system here works but know theres an emergency clinic every morning so was a bit worried I'd have to wait but didnt have to was just sent for xray (2 hours waiting).

They decide to cut some of my toe tendons.. I ask if its going to be a local anaesthetic (as last time I had one it hurt like hell.. I'm not a wimp I had my first toe amputation under local and watching the needle go in was like watching it go into someone else's foot and didn't feel a thing.. I only passed out when I heard the 'clipping' sound and 'tasted' blood, and that was only for a second.. that was 14 years ago.. last year I had my big toenail removed (I only have one big toe left) under local and it was pain beyond anything i've ever known (I thought laser was bad) so I was going to say have it without but they confirmed I wouldn't feel a thing and no local so lets go.. I looked away and when he started I was practically on the ceiling.. my reaction must have been coinciding with whatever the junior surgeon was doing coz he was saying "she can feel this" but they said to carry on. He cut the tendons in 3 toes.

When he had finished the senior podiatrist came back and said "some of thats probably in the mind".. I didn't really care as whether its in the mind or not it felt ****** real.. he then said "its a good job there are no nerves in the tendons!" I felt like a fraud.. I couldn't curl the rest of my toes on my left foot (my right one I couldnt anyway as I've had charcots in that one) so I knew my foot was traumatised. But I felt like he was saying I just made up the pain and everyone was looking at me like I had (maybe that was in my mind but after the day so far my nerves were ****** anyway!

I left the hospital and call my mum who's trying to get me to find a taxi but all I could do was walk back in the direction I'd walked (30 mins back to bus stop) as I was so upset and confused.

I got back not long ago and googled it.. if you have this operation the normal procedure is to have a local or general anaesthetic so clearly it is 'normal' to feel something. But I really don't care if it was real or not it FELT like real pain and to say something which made me feel like they thought I was just pretending to feel pain when I couldn't.. just wow..

Reactions: Freema

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I woke up going hypo (sweating and everything) had to wait for a while before I could move.. tried to book taxi to take me to hospital for appointment with surgeon at foot clinic but couldn't get one now running out of time so go the only route I know (bear in mind I've only been to this hospital once and was taken in car).. walk to bus stop 20 mins away..

Get on bus and looking at google maps think the bus might actually be taking me off course so get off it and get on next one.. the driver starts shouting at me for getting on "couldnt you see it was full the doors were only opening to let people off" (the previous bus had been empty but there was a problem getting on due to woman with pushchair) and after being summoned to front I explain that I'm registered blind and couldn't see through the darkened windows.. "Well how did you see the doors to get on it then??" (I'm too stressed and late etc to care was basically in tears).. I get off when I think I'm in walking distance to hospital.. I walk half an hour to get there and get there 7 mins late.. no problem.

Get to appointment 7 mins late (I'm not sure how the system here works but know theres an emergency clinic every morning so was a bit worried I'd have to wait but didnt have to was just sent for xray (2 hours waiting).

They decide to cut some of my toe tendons.. I ask if its going to be a local anaesthetic (as last time I had one it hurt like hell.. I'm not a wimp I had my first toe amputation under local and watching the needle go in was like watching it go into someone else's foot and didn't feel a thing.. I only passed out when I heard the 'clipping' sound and 'tasted' blood, and that was only for a second.. that was 14 years ago.. last year I had my big toenail removed (I only have one big toe left) under local and it was pain beyond anything i've ever known (I thought laser was bad) so I was going to say have it without but they confirmed I wouldn't feel a thing and no local so lets go.. I looked away and when he started I was practically on the ceiling.. my reaction must have been coinciding with whatever the junior surgeon was doing coz he was saying "she can feel this" but they said to carry on. He cut the tendons in 3 toes.

When he had finished the senior podiatrist came back and said "some of thats probably in the mind".. I didn't really care as whether its in the mind or not it felt ****** real.. he then said "its a good job there are no nerves in the tendons!" I felt like a fraud.. I couldn't curl the rest of my toes on my left foot (my right one I couldnt anyway as I've had charcots in that one) so I knew my foot was traumatised. But I felt like he was saying I just made up the pain and everyone was looking at me like I had (maybe that was in my mind but after the day so far my nerves were ****** anyway!

I left the hospital and call my mum who's trying to get me to find a taxi but all I could do was walk back in the direction I'd walked (30 mins back to bus stop) as I was so upset and confused.

I got back not long ago and googled it.. if you have this operation the normal procedure is to have a local or general anaesthetic so clearly it is 'normal' to feel something. But I really don't care if it was real or not it FELT like real pain and to say something which made me feel like they thought I was just pretending to feel pain when I couldn't.. just wow..

You have my sympathies, @ThePenguinPimp . I haven't had the same surgery as anything you've had, but I did have a sizeable mole (that had undergone "changes") removed from the sole of my foot - right in the height of the arch. The local anaesthetic for that was excrutaiting, but not as excrutiating as when it wore off.

I can honestly say, I was scouring the house looking for the strongest painkillers I could find. In the end, I settled forr some I hadn't required afteerr a hysterectomy, but by jingo, I was taking them for my foot.

When I was offered intjections for a morton's Neuroma, it took a less than a nano-second to decline, declaring, I'd learn to manage it. Fortunately that settled and doesn't trouble me any more - touch wood!

Take care and be gentle with yourself for a few days. Hopefully the trauma will settle soon.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ThePenguinPimp a hug for what you have just been through doesn't seem enough, but please accept the longest hug you need. I certainly couldn't go through what you have had done, and I know what you mean about the cutting sounds of the tendon, awful, just awful. again here is your hug.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gawd knows what your glucose levels were like after that trauma!!! Hope you feel better soon. x

Reactions: ThePenguinPimp

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Awww big hugs from me. I was sobbing whilst reading your post.... Then I shouted. "If the patient says it hurts then it ******hurts!" Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhh what is wrong with these people???

Reactions: ThePenguinPimp

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im normally not a huggy person but right now Im so grateful for every (even virtual) hugs and support sent my way.. thank you for caring x

Reactions: Bea56 and zand

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a lot calmer now.. I'm normally so low carb but I just messaged my mum and asked her to get fish and chips on the way home.. and they are the best fish and chips EVER.. I just normally can't touch them lol but I really feel like sod it I deserve a break from my diabetes just now!! (not that I won't watch my pump like a hawk and bolus as necessary lol)..

The bottle of wine I bought on way home hasn't half helped also.. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a lot calmer now.. I'm normally so low carb but I just messaged my mum and asked her to get fish and chips on the way home.. and they are the best fish and chips EVER.. I just normally can't touch them lol but I really feel like sod it I deserve a break from my diabetes just now!! (not that I won't watch my pump like a hawk and bolus as necessary lol)..

The bottle of wine I bought on way home hasn't half helped also.. :)
Good, I am glad you enjoy them. I think most of us would have done exactly the same thing if we were in your shoes. :)

Last edited:

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gawd knows what your glucose levels were like after that trauma!!! Hope you feel better soon. x

thank god for auto suspend..

20180709_192902.jpg

Reactions: zand

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As the low carb fanatic of the year my 100th post is that I cannot bloody wait until my mum comes home with my fish and chips and mushy peas!! Any minute now...... :D

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
As the low carb fanatic of the year my 100th post is that I cannot bloody wait until my mum comes home with my fish and chips and mushy peas!! Any minute now...... :D

You've been quiet for 47 minutes now. Munching your yummy food? :) Such a horrible day you had, and on top of everything you had to put up with a nasty busdriver and health staff insinuating that you're worse than a pro soccer player when it comes to pain :( I hope you have a lovely evening.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

OMG. Poor you. Next time try and get someone with you. When 2 people are saying same thing it does bode well. Hugs for you. You are brave.
They were so out of order. If registered blind then they should know you didn't see the op to attach memories to it. DURR! Some people are sooo dum. The nurse booking me into labour ward in Hastings was just as stupid. There are the odd ones, in nursing/patient care.... even odd intelligent one can get things wrong, unfortunately. At patients expense. :(

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks for asking :) I'm ok.. still furious with the guy who made the comments in the hospital and have decided that I'm going to write a (measured) letter explaining just what those comments did to me and how I should never have been allowed to go in the state that I was. Neuropathy is a strange beast and they have no way of knowing what I can or can't feel and they should not assume anything!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for asking :) I'm ok.. still furious with the guy who made the comments in the hospital and have decided that I'm going to write a (measured) letter explaining just what those comments did to me and how I should never have been allowed to go in the state that I was. Neuropathy is a strange beast and they have no way of knowing what I can or can't feel and they should not assume anything!
Yes that's a good idea for two reasons. Firstly you need to tell him what he has done. He won't know how wrong he was unless someone does. I bet you are not the first person this has happened to. Secondly you might be the one to make him/them sit up and listen and you could save someone else from going through what you went through, and even save yourself more pain in the future too.

Good for you:)