Type 1 Motorbike / Motorcycle - Neuropathy

Ben_Eaton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I have been a diagnosed T1D for about ~13 years.
My blood glucose control isn't the BEST, but it's not the worst. I am managing better using the Libre Freestyle Libre sensor, though.

A few years ago I 'started' some casual evening football games with work-friends, but I soon had to stop. After every game I'd end up sitting in the car to remove my boots, and find myself unable to lift my foot. I was able to drive, but it was a weird-pain sensation. If I wanted to angle my foot up, I'd have to use my hands to do it - My foot (muscle(s)? I assume) just wouldn't allow it. I found out this is likely 'foot drop' - A neuropathy issue. ** I have not had this diagnosed - I just don't kick footballs very often now !! **

Bit of a back story above to give idea of why I am asking this..

I would be interested in going for my Motorbike license. I have ridden geared Motorbikes in the past, as in when I was a teenager (I am 30 this month!) but I was either not T1D or newly diagnosed so had no 'complications' as-it-were. My brother actually would like to pay for my CBT as a birthday present, which is obviously a very kind gesture, but my worry is that if I go for my CBT and, with the constant angling/pushing of my feet for gears and back-brake, find myself with the similar pains and maybe even to the point where I can't change gear or back-brake easily at all. I don't want him wasting £100+ for this to be the way I find out if I can proceed or not!

Has anyone with foot-drop / similar neuropathy issues in lower leg muscles found problems riding geared motorbikes?

Thanks all,
Ben

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all,

I have been a diagnosed T1D for about ~13 years.
My blood glucose control isn't the BEST, but it's not the worst. I am managing better using the Libre Freestyle Libre sensor, though.

A few years ago I 'started' some casual evening football games with work-friends, but I soon had to stop. After every game I'd end up sitting in the car to remove my boots, and find myself unable to lift my foot. I was able to drive, but it was a weird-pain sensation. If I wanted to angle my foot up, I'd have to use my hands to do it - My foot (muscle(s)? I assume) just wouldn't allow it. I found out this is likely 'foot drop' - A neuropathy issue. ** I have not had this diagnosed - I just don't kick footballs very often now !! **

Bit of a back story above to give idea of why I am asking this..

I would be interested in going for my Motorbike license. I have ridden geared Motorbikes in the past, as in when I was a teenager (I am 30 this month!) but I was either not T1D or newly diagnosed so had no 'complications' as-it-were. My brother actually would like to pay for my CBT as a birthday present, which is obviously a very kind gesture, but my worry is that if I go for my CBT and, with the constant angling/pushing of my feet for gears and back-brake, find myself with the similar pains and maybe even to the point where I can't change gear or back-brake easily at all. I don't want him wasting £100+ for this to be the way I find out if I can proceed or not!

Has anyone with foot-drop / similar neuropathy issues in lower leg muscles found problems riding geared motorbikes?

Thanks all,
Ben
Hi Ben,

Firstly, I really think that you should make the effort to discuss this with a doctor and get it looked at/diagnosed properly.

As far as the bike is concerned, have you considered a scooter of some description? There seem to be quite a few options around for 'foot forward' riding positions that would not have your ankle bent at an uncomfortable angle.

Regards
Urb'

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
A friend of mine has leg issues for other reasons and has a Harley

He had it modified so he can change gear by hand

Just a lever forwards for up etc

So even if there is a bike you like and can’t manage there are ways

As Urb says check with a GP to the issue may be unrelated and fixable.. but you won’t know if you don’t check

Good luck

And enjoy whatever bike you get