1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Motorbike / Motorcycle - Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Ben_Eaton, May 17, 2021.

1. Ben_Eaton

Ben_Eaton Type 1 · Member

Hi all,

I have been a diagnosed T1D for about ~13 years.
    My blood glucose control isn't the BEST, but it's not the worst. I am managing better using the Libre Freestyle Libre sensor, though.

A few years ago I 'started' some casual evening football games with work-friends, but I soon had to stop. After every game I'd end up sitting in the car to remove my boots, and find myself unable to lift my foot. I was able to drive, but it was a weird-pain sensation. If I wanted to angle my foot up, I'd have to use my hands to do it - My foot (muscle(s)? I assume) just wouldn't allow it. I found out this is likely 'foot drop' - A neuropathy issue. ** I have not had this diagnosed - I just don't kick footballs very often now !! **

Bit of a back story above to give idea of why I am asking this..

I would be interested in going for my Motorbike license. I have ridden geared Motorbikes in the past, as in when I was a teenager (I am 30 this month!) but I was either not T1D or newly diagnosed so had no 'complications' as-it-were. My brother actually would like to pay for my CBT as a birthday present, which is obviously a very kind gesture, but my worry is that if I go for my CBT and, with the constant angling/pushing of my feet for gears and back-brake, find myself with the similar pains and maybe even to the point where I can't change gear or back-brake easily at all. I don't want him wasting £100+ for this to be the way I find out if I can proceed or not!

Has anyone with foot-drop / similar neuropathy issues in lower leg muscles found problems riding geared motorbikes?

Thanks all,
    Ben

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi Ben,

Firstly, I really think that you should make the effort to discuss this with a doctor and get it looked at/diagnosed properly.

As far as the bike is concerned, have you considered a scooter of some description? There seem to be quite a few options around for 'foot forward' riding positions that would not have your ankle bent at an uncomfortable angle.

Regards
    Urb'

3. searley

searley Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

A friend of mine has leg issues for other reasons and has a Harley

He had it modified so he can change gear by hand

Just a lever forwards for up etc

So even if there is a bike you like and can’t manage there are ways

As Urb says check with a GP to the issue may be unrelated and fixable.. but you won’t know if you don’t check

Good luck

And enjoy whatever bike you get

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook