Moved house/doctors

MissNicS

Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I’m wondering if anyone has been in a similar position. I moved in October last year and had to switch doctors. I had an initial appointment at the surgery when I first registered but I’ve still not been referred to a diabetic clinic (I’m type 1 and have always been referred to a diabetic clinic). I’ve contacted my surgery a few times but I’m still no further forward. Has anyone else had hassle with this kind of thing?

Thanks,
Nic

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I’m wondering if anyone has been in a similar position. I moved in October last year and had to switch doctors. I had an initial appointment at the surgery when I first registered but I’ve still not been referred to a diabetic clinic (I’m type 1 and have always been referred to a diabetic clinic). I’ve contacted my surgery a few times but I’m still no further forward. Has anyone else had hassle with this kind of thing?

Thanks,
Nic
HI MISS NICS
IF I HAD THAT PROBLEM i would find out on line what NHS HOSPITAL IS YOUR NEAREST ONE AND SEE IF THEY HAVE A DIABETICE CLINIC should be a phone no .
and contact them explaining the problem they will possible ask you to be referred by a doctor . if that does not work go to the clinic speak to reception ask to see a nurse / or a health visit
on the other hand may be local diabetic branch phone them for some advice
also may worth phone your old doctors tell the reception the problem ..doctors and nurses are all overworked in our area .
try and get names of people and log times spoken and if they do not phone give them grief phone back 12 hours later
it is your right hope this may be of some help
63 years on INSULIN working with .THE NHS STRUCTURE TO VIC

MissNicS

HI MISS NICS
IF I HAD THAT PROBLEM i would find out on line what NHS HOSPITAL IS YOUR NEAREST ONE AND SEE IF THEY HAVE A DIABETICE CLINIC should be a phone no .
and contact them explaining the problem they will possible ask you to be referred by a doctor . if that does not work go to the clinic speak to reception ask to see a nurse / or a health visit
on the other hand may be local diabetic branch phone them for some advice
also may worth phone your old doctors tell the reception the problem ..doctors and nurses are all overworked in our area .
try and get names of people and log times spoken and if they do not phone give them grief phone back 12 hours later
it is your right hope this may be of some help
63 years on INSULIN working with .THE NHS STRUCTURE TO VIC

Thanks for the reply! There is a diabetic clinic near me so I might try giving them a call tomorrow. I wrongly assumed that the surgery would automatically refer me once I had seen/registered with them. I’ve called my own surgery trying to speak to a doctor (rather than make an appointment and waste their time when I’m only asking for a referral) to get an update, but have been told they only will call back for emergencies which this isn’t. I wasn’t sure what step to take next so I’ll give these a go! Thank you!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply! There is a diabetic clinic near me so I might try giving them a call tomorrow. I wrongly assumed that the surgery would automatically refer me once I had seen/registered with them. I’ve called my own surgery trying to speak to a doctor (rather than make an appointment and waste their time when I’m only asking for a referral) to get an update, but have been told they only will call back for emergencies which this isn’t. I wasn’t sure what step to take next so I’ll give these a go! Thank you!

MissNicS - I doubt doctors or their staff read medical notes when a patient registers, and the initial appointment, as far as I can tell, is just a tick box exercise.

If your surgery does telephone consultations, make an appointment for one. That way you can speak to a doctor about it, without necessarily having to attend and disrupt your day too much.

I imagine your care would continue at your old clinic, until you are moved, so I doubt you are truly out of the loop, although it may well be your old clinic may not be too accessible.

If that fails, you could contact your "old" clinic and see if your consultant could do a consultant to consultant referral. They don't really like doing that, but they can, if necessary.

Good luck with it all.