Moving Areas and NHS Trusts

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I'm moving from Basingstoke in Hampshire to Rochester in Kent and was wondering if anyone has had any issues moving in terms of funding. I have the Libre which my DSN managed to get approved for me despite me not being technically eligible. I am a Prison Officer so she felt it would help me manage at work. When I move I will continue to be an Officer but wondered if a different NHS trust is likely to cut the funding?

Will the rest of my prescription move across too, or would they likely change my brands of Insulin to suit what they offer?

I'm a bit gutted to be leaving my DSN behind as she has been incredible so far!

Any advice on moving doctors/ clinics would be gratefully received!

Thanks, Jade

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I'm moving from Basingstoke in Hampshire to Rochester in Kent and was wondering if anyone has had any issues moving in terms of funding. I have the Libre which my DSN managed to get approved for me despite me not being technically eligible. I am a Prison Officer so she felt it would help me manage at work. When I move I will continue to be an Officer but wondered if a different NHS trust is likely to cut the funding?

Will the rest of my prescription move across too, or would they likely change my brands of Insulin to suit what they offer?

I'm a bit gutted to be leaving my DSN behind as she has been incredible so far!

Any advice on moving doctors/ clinics would be gratefully received!

Thanks, Jade

Hello there!

I moved from Hampshire to Kent I’m glad to hear you had a good experience with your health team there. I had a pretty ****** experience as was misdiagnosed until moving to Kent and being told I’m actually type 1 despite being horrendously ill in the process for 2 years.....

I wouldn’t have though that your medications would change but I don’t have the libre at the moment so can’t really comment.

I’m sure others will be along to help soon :)

And if you ever need a Kent buddy just shout :)

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there!

I moved from Hampshire to Kent I’m glad to hear you had a good experience with your health team there. I had a pretty ****** experience as was misdiagnosed until moving to Kent and being told I’m actually type 1 despite being horrendously ill in the process for 2 years.....

I wouldn’t have though that your medications would change but I don’t have the libre at the moment so can’t really comment.

I’m sure others will be along to help soon :)

And if you ever need a Kent buddy just shout :)

Thank you KesLouise, I may take you up on that as I only know my partner and his friends/ family! X

Reactions: KesLouise

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It wouldn't do any harm to get your DSN to write a letter for your new consultant /new GP/new DSN. If you can produce written evidence that she decided it would be of value to you, and you can say, having tried it out, that you agree with that judgement and explain why it is helpful in your role at work, that should save a lot of delay and get things moving when you do the switch to the Kent area. Sometimes records can be delayed for a while before they are made available to HCPs in a different part of the country.

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It wouldn't do any harm to get your DSN to write a letter for your new consultant /new GP/new DSN. If you can produce written evidence that she decided it would be of value to you, and you can say, having tried it out, that you agree with that judgement and explain why it is helpful in your role at work, that should save a lot of delay and get things moving when you do the switch to the Kent area. Sometimes records can be delayed for a while before they are made available to HCPs in a different part of the country.

Thank you, I didn't think of that! I will ask her x

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I once moved from Kent to the north, which is why I'm suggesting it. Records took forever to arrive - or so it seemed. Make sure you have a couple of printouts of your repeatable items with your GP's name on them too. It makes getting the new surgery to put them on your records as repeatable that much easier. Practice nurses are not usually very familiar with insulins, pens etc, so it all helps. That's been my experience anyway. Good luck with the move.

localshop

I moved from West Yorkshire to South Yorkshire a couple of years ago and was dreading it. I'd had to fight to keep my preferred tester when I was in West Yorks and I thought there would be a high chance that my new GP would refuse to let me use it. In the end I was completely wrong. I had a new patient appointment and was set up with my repeat within a few minutes. Completely stress-free. The consultant I have moved to is also way better than my previous one. With any luck your experience will mirrir mine. Good luck upping sticks!

TIGERLILY1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I moved from West Yorkshire to South Yorkshire a couple of years ago and was dreading it. I'd had to fight to keep my preferred tester when I was in West Yorks and I thought there would be a high chance that my new GP would refuse to let me use it. In the end I was completely wrong. I had a new patient appointment and was set up with my repeat within a few minutes. Completely stress-free. The consultant I have moved to is also way better than my previous one. With any luck your experience will mirrir mine. Good luck upping sticks!

Thank you! I'm dreading it at the moment

Reactions: localshop