Moving to Spain

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I am considering retiring to Spain but since Brexit I am not sure how this will affect my prescriptions. My wife has
Fibromyalger and has been advised by our GP to move to a sunny climate. As you can imagine my test strips alone would cost £50 per month and I dread to think how much my insulin would be.Any advice would be very welcome.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Don't forget as we are soon to be a non EU country it will depend on what agreements the EU Spain and the UK will come to.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And it could change depending on when you leave the UK.
As no one has any idea, it could be a deal is brokered to treat existing UK citizens already living in spain before Brexit differently to those wanting to move after Brexit. Or after article 50 is triggered. Or anything really.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am considering retiring to Spain but since Brexit I am not sure how this will affect my prescriptions. My wife has
Fibromyalger and has been advised by our GP to move to a sunny climate. As you can imagine my test strips alone would cost £50 per month and I dread to think how much my insulin would be.Any advice would be very welcome.

I think, as the others have already said, I don't think anyone knows how things will be. How far away are you from potentially making your move?

That aside, one of our Brit neighbour, overseas, had fibromyalgia and she always says she is so much better there than in UK; especially in winter, when it's warm there, but cold here.

Is your intent to sell up and move, or keep a UK base, but have a home elsewhere?

I know of a number of regular visitors to our part of the world choose to spend winters overseas, in the heat (a steady heat of around 28-32c in winter) and be in UK during the summer when things are warmer here, whereas the Tropical summers are utterly brutal. Many will rent a villa or house for a few months, rather than invest in bricks and mortar. With that sort of term, they achieve better rents than short term true holiday lets.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I think, as the others have already said, I don't think anyone knows how things will be. How far away are you from potentially making your move?

That aside, one of our Brit neighbour, overseas, had fibromyalgia and she always says she is so much better there than in UK; especially in winter, when it's warm there, but cold here.

Is your intent to sell up and move, or keep a UK base, but have a home elsewhere?

I know of a number of regular visitors to our part of the world choose to spend winters overseas, in the heat (a steady heat of around 28-32c in winter) and be in UK during the summer when things are warmer here, whereas the Tropical summers are utterly brutal. Many will rent a villa or house for a few months, rather than invest in bricks and mortar. With that sort of term, they achieve better rents than short term true holiday lets.
Thanks for all the information. I think the idea of going for six months in the winter is looking like an option. We have 2 houses one in North Wales and one we rent out in Cheshire. Think we will look at a down size in North Wales and see what is available apartment wise in Spain and rent it for six months in the summer.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the information. I think the idea of going for six months in the winter is looking like an option. We have 2 houses one in North Wales and one we rent out in Cheshire. Think we will look at a down size in North Wales and see what is available apartment wise in Spain and rent it for six months in the summer.

:) Sounds like a potential plan.

Reactions: 2 people