Multivitamins Advice

Danny72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello All,

I wanted some advice on multivitamins and id diabetics are able to take them ok without any problems and if so which ones ? I am on medication for my diabetes called Sukkarto SR 500mg metfomin and I don’t know if it would affect this and my sugar levels.

Someone I know said to try ones called Wellman original but after googling if they were ok I just couldn’t find anything that helped me decide. Any help with this would be really fantastic, thank you.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be frank, I have not done a lot of reading on this in a long time, but my overall impression is that multi-vitamins don't really have enough of anything to make a difference unless you are critically deficient in something. So they don't really provide enough of anything to be contra-indicated for most people either.
So I personally prefer to limit vitamin and mineral supplementation to specific things that I feel I need to boost. Generally for me that's C and D, although I'm planning to have a close look at magnesium and K2 for heart health.
I'm T2, and I'm completely ignorant on T1 health issues. As I don't know which type you are, I'd say take my opinion for what it's worth.

Danny72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be frank, I have not done a lot of reading on this in a long time, but my overall impression is that multi-vitamins don't really have enough of anything to make a difference unless you are critically deficient in something. So they don't really provide enough of anything to be contra-indicated for most people either.
So I personally prefer to limit vitamin and mineral supplementation to specific things that I feel I need to boost. Generally for me that's C and D, although I'm planning to have a close look at magnesium and K2 for heart health.
I'm T2, and I'm completely ignorant on T1 health issues. As I don't know which type you are, I'd say take my opinion for what it's worth.

Thank you very much sorry I should have mentioned I’m type 2, (I’ve updated my profile).. I was diagnosed last October. But I’m on a low carb diet I thought maybe I’d be lacking in something, I’d also want to boost my immune system too. I think multivitamins cover most areas? I don’t really know what I’m lacking in but I just wanted just to try and keep my immune system as well as possible.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2 and have been low carbing for over six years and am of the opinion that if I'm eating a sensible and varied low carb diet, I should be getting all the vitamins and minerals I need from it. The only vitamin I take is D3 at GP's suggestion. But since you're on metformin you may like to check on Google regarding possible B12 deficiency if you're taking it long term

Maxine3624

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm T2 and take vitamin d and vitamin b with no side effects. Just felt it worth having a boost with the winter being so dark.