Mum to Tia age 7, diagnosed 6 months, pumping 4 months

heidiphillips

Hello Clare and everyone,
I too have been lurking and occasionally putting in my twopenneth. I am Heidi, Mum to Tia and a fellow pumper. I am extremely impressed and motivated by the low carb approach, thanks a lot to Katherine who helped with her story of her son, but we struggle. Everyone is raving about the benefits of the weight loss and excellent BGs with the low carb approach (and I get it - it worked for weight loss for me too and I don't have diabetes). I am also a GP and its changed what I tell my patients. But it doesn't seem to work for Tia because I can't get the balance right. We went lowish carb (100g/day) and her HBA1c dropped from 8.3 at diagnosis to 6 within 2 months. But she lost weight. My consultant and diabetic nurse have instilled in me the benefits of the pump ( being she can eat what she likes) and that as a growing child she needs 10 times her age plus 100 in terms of carbs per day (ie 180). She is slim (too slim) and does not need to lose weight. I can't find decent food/diets with children in mind. Has anyone written a book? Because eggs with salmon and tarragon just don't rock her boat like a bowl of cereal!!! :?:

Orchid

Hi Heidi

As you have probably read in the threads, I've got Elizabeth aged 10. I will be watching this thread in anticipation. Your comment about salmon V a bowl of cereal made me smile :) same here too for Biz!

Has the pump made a big difference to Tia? I keep thinking about one for Elizabeth, but i don't really know enough about the benefits. If you would like to PM me, feel free.

Where can I find Katherine's story about her son?

Orchid