Type 1 Muscle and Leg Cramps

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a website visitor of Type 1 Knowledge email me with a question I was unable to answer the other day. The person was having extreme leg cramps and muscle cramps that was putting them in extreme pain. Elevated sugar levels; however, negative ketones. Opinions?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Possible reasons could be deficiencies in magnesium, or potassium, or salt. (or a combination of any of these)
Also side effects of other medications not related to diabetes (statins for example)
Or lots of other reasons.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get the cramps if I allow myself to get dehydrated. They come if I drink wine and forget to drink lots of water.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Possible reasons could be deficiencies in magnesium, or potassium, or salt. (or a combination of any of these)
Also side effects of other medications not related to diabetes (statins for example)
Or lots of other reasons.
Thank you for your help! :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get the cramps if I allow myself to get dehydrated. They come if I drink wine and forget to drink lots of water.
The individual had symptoms similar to dehydration, so that could be a possibility! I'll be sure to let them know, thank you for your help! :)

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a website visitor of Type 1 Knowledge email me with a question I was unable to answer the other day. The person was having extreme leg cramps and muscle cramps that was putting them in extreme pain. Elevated sugar levels; however, negative ketones. Opinions?
too much salt causes me to have muscle cramps in my legs ,, I'm type 1 diabetic