Muscle spasms / cramps

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, a funny one but I’m wondering if anyone can relate and advise...i was diagnosed type 2 just before Christmas which I wasn’t expecting...I’d went to the drs because I’ve been having these muscle spasms almost continually for the last couple of years ..but they’d gotten to the point where they were non stop and waking me up in my sleep etc...she tested for thyroid (clear) and diabetes. After that I was referred to the diabetic nurse ..a few days ago the cramps had flared up badly again so I’ve been tested for calcium levels and parathyroid..both clear..si I’m heading back for now a third appointment . Is there a connection to diabetes as I don’t know why she tested me for diabetes in the first place otherwise. They occur almost constantly..hands, feet , legs, neck, and a lot in my core...thanks!!x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @blubelle1

Muscle cramps are painful and debilitating so I feel for you. This article may be helpful to you: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/muscle-cramp-and-diabetes.html

Speaking from personal experience, I had them for years before diagnosis and still get them from time to time. In my case they’re quite clearly linked to electrolyte depletion so can be managed with a combination of magnesium and potassium supplements and ensuring I add enough salt to food.

I hope you get to the cause and find a solution.

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @blubelle1

Muscle cramps are painful and debilitating so I feel for you. This article may be helpful to you: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/muscle-cramp-and-diabetes.html

Speaking from personal experience, I had them for years before diagnosis and still get them from time to time. In my case they’re quite clearly linked to electrolyte depletion so can be managed with a combination of magnesium and potassium supplements and ensuring I add enough salt to food.

I hope you get to the cause and find a solution.

Thank you..tbh when I went to the doctor in the first place I just thought I’d a deficiency and that she’d test bloods, give me a supplement and that would be that...as it is I’m months down the line and no further forward!!!!...

mouseee

Cramps in my calves was one of my symptoms at diagnosis. Even had a muscle 'pop' in my leg one morning. I had no idea it was a symptom.

Once I'd got my blood sugars down they literally disappeared.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, a funny one but I’m wondering if anyone can relate and advise...i was diagnosed type 2 just before Christmas which I wasn’t expecting...I’d went to the drs because I’ve been having these muscle spasms almost continually for the last couple of years ..but they’d gotten to the point where they were non stop and waking me up in my sleep etc...she tested for thyroid (clear) and diabetes. After that I was referred to the diabetic nurse ..a few days ago the cramps had flared up badly again so I’ve been tested for calcium levels and parathyroid..both clear..si I’m heading back for now a third appointment . Is there a connection to diabetes as I don’t know why she tested me for diabetes in the first place otherwise. They occur almost constantly..hands, feet , legs, neck, and a lot in my core...thanks!!x
I had cramp pains aches in my legs, blood sugars had been high and been trying to tolerate metformin for a few months, but suffered gastro side effects, went to drs and they tested for Vit D. My levels where low and was given a high dose course to get them up, sure enough pains went. I was so surprised I’d never had low Vit D before. Good luck, I hope you find out the cause.

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had cramp pains aches in my legs, blood sugars had been high and been trying to tolerate metformin for a few months, but suffered gastro side effects, went to drs and they tested for Vit D. My levels where low and was given a high dose course to get them up, sure enough pains went. I was so surprised I’d never had low Vit D before. Good luck, I hope you find out the cause.

Thanks very much !!!...my daughter is actually deficient in vit D as a lot of people round here are..I’ve never been proper tested.Just my first return bloods taken and I get the results next week..but I’ve been testing myself , radically altered diet to a drastically lower in carb/sugars one, doing swim22 etc etc and they are consistently higher than ever..on top of that I’ve cramp flareups and not dropped a pound!!!!...so waiting to see what happens there.

Reactions: Rose22

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cramps in my calves was one of my symptoms at diagnosis. Even had a muscle 'pop' in my leg one morning. I had no idea it was a symptom.

Once I'd got my blood sugars down they literally disappeared.

It might well be the case of sugars..mine are up from what they were initially and I’ve totally overhauled my diet and am doing swim 22 amongst other things ...just had bloods done which I get back next week...thanks!!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Caprock94

I have had muscle twitches for years. Only occasional cramps. Cramp like feelings came on as my blood sugar levels were dropping back to normal. They aren't nearly as frequent now.

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had muscle twitches for years. Only occasional cramps. Cramp like feelings came on as my blood sugar levels were dropping back to normal. They aren't nearly as frequent now.

Thanks..I’m waiting on bloods coming back so fingers crossed they’ll show some reason for it!!!

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks very much !!!...my daughter is actually deficient in vit D as a lot of people round here are..I’ve never been proper tested.Just my first return bloods taken and I get the results next week..but I’ve been testing myself , radically altered diet to a drastically lower in carb/sugars one, doing swim22 etc etc and they are consistently higher than ever..on top of that I’ve cramp flareups and not dropped a pound!!!!...so waiting to see what happens there.
Fingers crossed the blood results show something, and then can go forward with a plan. Amazing doing swimm22!

Bishop

Hello
I am a diabetic type 1 for 10 years. When I was diagnosed I had a problem with massive cramps during the night in my calves.
During the years I learned why this has happened. When you have high blood sugar your kidney tries to flash out all the extra sugar in your bloodstream so they begin to work hard and flash out glucose. Together with the glucose, you flash many other good minerals. Because of the lack of minerals, you begin to have cramps.If you were found to have diabetes and you have cramps they should give you a drip to help you bring back the balance of lost minerals. If they didn't give you the drip even you have a good diet and you manage to bring your blood sugars back to normal, you will need time until your balance is coming back to a normal level and so the cramps will begin to go away.
I hope this is helping you.
Good luck!

blubelle1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much!!!..I get cramps pretty much all over it eases sometimes but never goes completely away..I’m now on metformin to try and help but it’s not really any better...your answer has given me a fuller understanding of what is happening...thank you

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to get bad muscle cramps in my calves years ago when i was on diuretics and was losing too much fluid and with it, potassium. I fixed this by regularly eating bananas which are high in this mineral (and making sure I drank plenty of water to replace the stuff I was losing!)

After I was diagnosed as T2 and seriously started eating LCHF, for a short time early on I was losing more fluids and with them essential minerals - again with similar crampy results. Since high carb bananas are now "no go" I checked Google for foods high in potassium - many of which are also high in essential magnesium. Many of our low carb foods are naturally high in these, and eating them on a regular basis, keeping well hydrated and ensuring I also keep up my salt intake has been all I've needed to prevent any further cramps.

As diabetics we may also wee a lot more when glucose levels are high, due to our bodies trying to get rid of this excess.

Making sure you include some of these foods in your diet should hopefully help, but you may also need to take extra in the form of supplements and hopefuly(!!) get advice from your GP , since the issues you have are obviously much worse.

deszcznocity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I supplement with 1g chelated magnesium bisglycinate daily, but you can eat as well brazil nuts and walnuts. As for potassium - I drink salty home made broth (beef bones are cheap as chips at local butchers) every day. If you cant get bones for broth, You can try eating 1 teaspoon of Lo-Salt and flushing it down with water. Wait 20-30 mins and you will start noticing a difference.

caroline78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get cramps in my thighs when my sugars are very high, as soon as I get them back down it goes away. That’s my only symptom of high sugars I don’t get thirsty etc.