my 3 year old son has bad breath - ketones?

Anna87508

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
my son has bad breath, it smells like he has been drinking tea :/ It also has a slightly sweet smell to it. His urine smells the same too. Someone mentioned it could be ketones? if this is true, then what should i do? i am going to take him to a doctor tomorrow. What foods can i give him to reduce the levels of ketones? i am slightly worried. He has not been diagnosed with diabetes but i figured this was a good place to get some help.

Thanks,

Anna x

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I think the most important thing is to get his blood glucose level checked and you are doing that by taking him to the doctor tomorrow. It doesn't really matter what he eats today, if he has a high ketones level then medical treatment is the only thing that is going to help.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the most important thing is to get his blood glucose level checked and you are doing that by taking him to the doctor tomorrow. It doesn't really matter what he eats today, if he has a high ketones level then medical treatment is the only thing that is going to help.

Actually. It does matter what he eats. The carbohydrate count should be kept as low as possible until a proffessional diagnosis.
No sweet stuff. Cereals. Biscuits. Bread. Pasta. Pizza. Potatoes. Fruit like bananas Apple, grapes, pineapple contain sugar too..!

I know this is hard for a young 'un.. But the above basic list will drive BS up to possible DKA?

The poor kid needs to have something till he sees a doctor though. Eggs. Meat like ham chicken. Cheese is good. Strawberries.

Good luck at the docs. @Anna87508 ..

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I notice from your earlier March posts, @Anna87508 that you were concerned about your own symptoms of diabetes - I was wondering if you got an answer from the doctor?

Hope your little one is okay :)

Reactions: 2 people

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that you can buy glucose meters from some Pharmacies they start at around £10-15 if you're really concerned and don't want to wait until the appointment. I hope it turns out to be something less serious but if not, I'm sure you'll find much support on this forum. :) As someone else said, keep carbohydrates low as this would help to keep the sugar levels lower.