My 6 wk LCHF results are in. Good, nearly good and not so good!

impgolf

HbA1c Metformin days 62 :(
LCHF days 56 :)

Cholestrol on statins 3.4 :)
Off statins 5.8 :(
HD no change :) but LD gone from 1.6 to 4.49 :mad:

Seems the 2 really major spikes I had in my HbA1c were in 2012 when my baby grandson was very ill and in 2014 when I was assaulted in my house by a man fixing the boiler! Otherwise I have been able to get levels down before with diet and exercise. Nurse agreed that I can stay off diabetic medication, but we agreed to 1/2 dose simvastatin for 6 wks and see if it has any effect on my health and cholestrol

All in all the nurse was pleased with the results. :) I would have liked lower HbA1c but I have another 6 wks to improve things.

Your advice?
Hi berylc, please don't worry about your total cholesterol numbers! Meta- analyses in Sweden and Norway show that in the over-50s the higher your cholesterol the longer we live, and suffer less ill health, too! Best indicators of any problems is your triglycerides to HDL ratio. A score under 2 is a great number.
Hi there,
Is statin short form of simvastatin?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Hi there,
Is statin short form of simvastatin?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Hi, simvastatin is just one type of statin drug. Any drug name ending in "statin" is exactly that.

Reactions: 2 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With lots of debate on here lately with regard to statins, I have just been having a little re-visit to my (anti) statin books. Now a huge favourite of mine is Kendrick's Great Cholesterol Con, I like his style and his humour, as well as the way that he presents the argument, but a lot of people can't get on with him.

I've just re-read Ernest M Curtis 'The Cholesterol Delusion'. I think that is a good introduction to the topic. One of the really good things he does is to actually reproduce the figures and statistics from frequently cited research in absolute risk terms (the way they should be reported) rather than relative risk reduction (the way they are normally reported that exaggerates benefits). In the appendix he actually reprints the journal studies of two significant pro-lipid lowering studies, The Lipid Research Clinics Coronary Primary Prevention Trial and the Helsinki Trial, and then takes you, step by step, through a critical analysis of these studies, what are they actually saying and what do they say they find (as reported in the conclusions and abstract). It makes for interesting reading.

I really don't blame our doctors, there have been in excess off 500 studies on statins produced in eminent medical journals. They do not have time to not only read each one, but to also interrogate the findings, to make sure that they are not being mis-represented in the conclusions - and in many studies the actual data is never published, Pharmaceutical companies are allowed to not release the whole data as they are allowed to say that it is 'commercially sensitive'. Pharmaceutical companies should not be allowed to say that information, for instance about side effects to a drug, are commercially sensitive. They are very important to the person being prescribed the drug. When companies refuse to hand over data the drug concerned should not be funded from the public purse.

NICE should employ real experts, expert statisticians and expert scientists - even scientists from other disciplines - who would look with a more objective eye at the research to see if the methods are valid, if there is lack of bias and if the findings are reported in an accurate and transparent way. Instead of which, they employ 'eminent doctors' in the field to advise them. The last lot of 10 advisors, who recommended yet further 'statination' of otherwise healthy people consisted of 8 who had direct ties to Pharmaceutical companies.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
With lots of debate on here lately with regard to statins, I have just been having a little re-visit to my (anti) statin books. Now a huge favourite of mine is Kendrick's Great Cholesterol Con, I like his style and his humour, as well as the way that he presents the argument, but a lot of people can't get on with him.

I've just re-read Ernest M Curtis 'The Cholesterol Delusion'. I think that is a good introduction to the topic. One of the really good things he does is to actually reproduce the figures and statistics from frequently cited research in absolute risk terms (the way they should be reported) rather than relative risk reduction (the way they are normally reported that exaggerates benefits). In the appendix he actually reprints the journal studies of two significant pro-lipid lowering studies, The Lipid Research Clinics Coronary Primary Prevention Trial and the Helsinki Trial, and then takes you, step by step, through a critical analysis of these studies, what are they actually saying and what do they say they find (as reported in the conclusions and abstract). It makes for interesting reading.

I really don't blame our doctors, there have been in excess off 500 studies on statins produced in eminent medical journals. They do not have time to not only read each one, but to also interrogate the findings, to make sure that they are not being mis-represented in the conclusions - and in many studies the actual data is never published, Pharmaceutical companies are allowed to not release the whole data as they are allowed to say that it is 'commercially sensitive'. Pharmaceutical companies should not be allowed to say that information, for instance about side effects to a drug, are commercially sensitive. They are very important to the person being prescribed the drug. When companies refuse to hand over data the drug concerned should not be funded from the public purse.

NICE should employ real experts, expert statisticians and expert scientists - even scientists from other disciplines - who would look with a more objective eye at the research to see if the methods are valid, if there is lack of bias and if the findings are reported in an accurate and transparent way. Instead of which, they employ 'eminent doctors' in the field to advise them. The last lot of 10 advisors, who recommended yet further 'statination' of otherwise healthy people consisted of 8 who had direct ties to Pharmaceutical companies.

Spot on... thanks for taking the time to shape such a detailed and considered response.

I think Malcolm Kendrick is a terrific champion for the cholesterol myth:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Reactions: 2 people