My BG Testing Accuracy is Abysmal - Help!

SQ21.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently losing the will to test myself as my results fluctuate far to much to provide any meaningful reference.

Is This Normal?

Let me explain. As an experiment; let's say I take two readings at the same time, even from the same drop of blood (it doesn't seem to matter), the readings I get seem to vary by as much as 3.5mmol. I have tried different test machines, test strips, pricking locations, times of day and every combination thereof but, the fact remains every time I take a second test it is almost ALWAYS significantly different from the 1st.

Now I know some will ask why I'm taking a second test, and that I should take only one and stick to it. I also understand the accuracy of most machines is limited to +/- 15%, but to see results vary by as much as 35% does not instill any confidence in the whole process.

I practice good technique, i.e. wash hands, minimise drop to test time etc. but I still get same results.

I have scheduled an appointment with my GP to discuss next week, but was wondering what experiences others have?

I just feel that I can't tell if my tablets are working or if my diet changes are having any meaningful impact as I simply don't trust the results!

Apologies for ranting on but I really am at my wits end with this. It's really driving me nuts too be honest! Am I missing something?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We all have similar problems. Besides the meters having accuracy issues, our blood races round our bodies faster than we can re-test, and changes all the time. Even the same drop of blood contains different amounts of glucose in each cell. It's all part of the mystery of diabetes.

Stick to one meter. Stick to one test unless the result is unexpected and outside YOUR normal range for that time of day. Record it. Look for upwards/downwards trends. Move on. Its all we can do.

SQ21.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What meter do you use? How old are the strips?

I currently use OneTouch UltraEasy and an Accu-Chek Mobile Meter. Strips both have 5/6 months left on them.

We all have similar problems....
Stick to one meter. Stick to one test unless the result is unexpected and outside YOUR normal range for that time of day. Record it. Look for upwards/downwards trends. Move on. Its all we can do.

Good advice, thank you.
I have just received a new OneTouch VeriFlex Meter, so will perhaps use this from today and monitor trends rather than focus too much on individual readings (unless they're extreme of course!)

Thanks Guys

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I currently use OneTouch UltraEasy and an Accu-Chek Mobile Meter. Strips both have 5/6 months left on them.

Thanks Guys

I think you will find that once you unseal a cassette for the AC Mobile and insert it, you have only 90 days to use it.

SQ21.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you will find that once you unseal a cassette for the AC Mobile and insert it, you have only 90 days to use it.

Yes, cartridge has only been in the meter for 3 weeks so should be ok, (Expiry date is Jul 2017). Anyway as I've said, I'm going to try my the new VeriFlex meter and see how I get on. Makes no real difference to me what meter I use really as I have purchase my own strips anyway.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, cartridge has only been in the meter for 3 weeks so should be ok, (Expiry date is Jul 2017). Anyway as I've said, I'm going to try my the new VeriFlex meter and see how I get on. Makes no real difference to me what meter I use really as I have purchase my own strips anyway.

I think you will find the expiry date of the unsealed cassette is 90 days from the day you inserted it, not July. It may say July on the box, but that is for sealed cassettes. Once unsealed it is 90 days maximum.