My bloods are erratic

Janetpeart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I have changed my diet to a ketosis diet. Eating extremely low amounts of carbs and sugar.
The problem is I don’t think I need to take any NovoRapid after my meals but when I test it’s up to 20-26 reading. (Old terms).
I don’t know whether it’s the coffee now that I’m drinking - but I have it black.
Any ideas what I’m doing wrong please?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you tell us what you are eating in a day? Could you tell us what medication you are on apart from the novorapid? How long have you been diagnosed? Are you comfortable taking a correction dose of novorapid? With bg of 20-26 you need one, but you need guidance of your diabetic team as well. How is your fasting bg and levels before meals? Are you on a long acting insulin as well?

Janetpeart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could you tell us what you are eating in a day? Could you tell us what medication you are on apart from the novorapid? How long have you been diagnosed? Are you comfortable taking a correction dose of novorapid? With bg of 20-26 you need one, but you need guidance of your diabetic team as well. How is your fasting bg and levels before meals? Are you on a long acting insulin as well?
Hi. I have been diagnosed for over 8 years and in the past 8 months my reading have been good.
It’s only since I started the ketosis diet.
I eat very little carbs - maybe 3grms a day and hardly any sugar. No fruit. My diet consists of eggs, cream, cheese, meat of all kinds but nothing processed, yoghurt- natural bio, nuts and occasionally 75% chocolate. I only eat green veg - no root veg. Since being on this diet I’ve lost 9lb in 2 weeks. I just cannot seem to gauge the insulin.
My long lasting LANTUS I take 30 in the morning. Metformin 2 x 500 mg in the morning.
I’m at a loss.
Thanks.

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My friend, a pediatric endocrinologist, does not advocate ketogenic diet in children.It`s not healthy, it`s not natural in spite of being practiced by many.Your case proves ketogenic diet is not well balanced and harmful to liver.
Consult your endocrinologist.

mickeyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have changed my diet to a ketosis diet. Eating extremely low amounts of carbs and sugar.
The problem is I don’t think I need to take any NovoRapid after my meals but when I test it’s up to 20-26 reading. (Old terms).
I don’t know whether it’s the coffee now that I’m drinking - but I have it black.
Any ideas what I’m doing wrong please?
Hi, i ve only just read your post. Thats interesting about the coffee as i think im sure it affects me as well. For example, i m type 1 and have the eternal problem of trying to balance my bloods which has failed for 18 years!! But anyway
I have always had a spike after coffee, even when i ve had no breakfast at all and one cup of strong white sugarless coffee. Blood before coffee would be 8-10, then after would go to 15-16. Just a dash of milk