My bloods go up for no reason!

megsayssmile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, I'm 16 and I need some advice. I've had diabetes for 9 years now. My bloods keep going high eventhough I've not had anything sugary. I've even made my insulin higher and its not exactly helping. Also I've spoke to the hospital and they haven't exactly helped. I cannot understand why its happening :( x

alyssarose

My blood sometimes goes in the night, and i've been told it may be growth hormones working in the night. Is that when it's happening?

megsayssmile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Erin! Also is that carb counting when you said ratios? The hospital keep saying to do carb counting but i really dont like it cause its a big change from what i have done the last 9 years x

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
megsayssmile said:
Thanks Erin! Also is that carb counting when you said ratios? The hospital keep saying to do carb counting but i really dont like it cause its a big change from what i have done the last 9 years x
megsayssmile,
Take the carb counting course, and add the knowledge to what you already know, and use what is useful 8)

megsayssmile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
ive had a go at it but it doesnt really work with me. if im in a rush i cannot do it well x

abbydoot

Hi! The same thing happens to me all the time. Try talking to your team about maybe getting a pump if your not on one? Or maybe you need to take more insulin for how much you eat like 1 unit - 8 carbs instad of 1 - 10? Sorry I couldn't be more helpful xx

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
There could be a number of reasons. I found that taking 5 units of my slow release insulin (levimer for me, could be Lantis) stops my sugars rising just before dinner in the winter (don't need it in the summer). My diabetic nurse got me to try it because I always went high at the same time, so she thought I was running out of background insulin.

Disclaimer, if you do try and change your insulin in any way, check your sugars regularly so you don't go low.

Stress causes my sugars to raise. You say you are 16. Are you doing exams? That might be adding to it.

You said you have increased your insulin. What type did you increase? If you are going high before food, increasing your quick acting wont help much.

Basically, there is always a reason for sugars going up, but it's not always your fault.

What I would suggest if for the next two weeks write down everything. What you ate, what excercise you did, how stressed you felt, and what your sugar reading was. When I did this, I recorded it on a sheet with columns of time, reading, food, insulin, activity and stress levels. That's when you start to see the patterns.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Gizmo123

If u want to go on a pump you must carb count otherwise the pump won't be accurate enough.
I prepare my breakfast cereal the night before. So I weigh out the cereal and calculate the carbs and then measure them milk into a jug and calculate the carbs. I'm morning I just put the two together as I already know the carbs.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might be wrong about this but I will mention it anyway just in case it is helpful. I am a type 2 and the only control I have is by what I eat. My nurse told me not to leave big gaps between eating because if I do the liver will start to supply glucose.

OP says the sugar rises just before dinner so maybe it's a too long a gap since the last meal. Maybe a snack half way could be tried to see if it overcomes the problem.

megsayssmile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou everyone. I've realised it could be the heat and stress with exams and friends ect. x

Any illness or infection can make your blood sugar go up. Unfortunately, lots of things can do this. Even something as simple as not getting a good night's sleep. Pain can make a difference too.

ChloeAlisha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Maybe you've counted your carbs wrong, or (if you're on it) it might be time to up your fast acting or long lasting insulin.