1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My bloods go up for no reason!

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by megsayssmile, Jul 2, 2013.

1. megsayssmile

megsayssmile Type 1 · Member

Hey, I'm 16 and I need some advice. I've had diabetes for 9 years now. My bloods keep going high eventhough I've not had anything sugary. I've even made my insulin higher and its not exactly helping. Also I've spoke to the hospital and they haven't exactly helped. I cannot understand why its happening :( x

2. alyssarose

alyssarose · Member

My blood sometimes goes in the night, and i've been told it may be growth hormones working in the night. Is that when it's happening?

3. megsayssmile

its like all the time but mostly before dinner xx

4. Erinmcdonagh

Erinmcdonagh · Active Member

At the moment my sugurs are going low mabey you might haft to change your rashios [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]
    Erin x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

5. megsayssmile

Thanks Erin! Also is that carb counting when you said ratios? The hospital keep saying to do carb counting but i really dont like it cause its a big change from what i have done the last 9 years x

6. CollieBoy

CollieBoy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

megsayssmile,
    Take the carb counting course, and add the knowledge to what you already know, and use what is useful 8)

7. megsayssmile

ive had a go at it but it doesnt really work with me. if im in a rush i cannot do it well x

8. Erinmcdonagh

Erinmcdonagh · Active Member

Rashios mean how many carbs for a unit lol hope it works out for u fingers cross
    Erin x

9. abbydoot

abbydoot · Member

Hi! The same thing happens to me all the time. Try talking to your team about maybe getting a pump if your not on one? Or maybe you need to take more insulin for how much you eat like 1 unit - 8 carbs instad of 1 - 10? Sorry I couldn't be more helpful xx

10. megsayssmile

11. amberzak

amberzak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There could be a number of reasons. I found that taking 5 units of my slow release insulin (levimer for me, could be Lantis) stops my sugars rising just before dinner in the winter (don't need it in the summer). My diabetic nurse got me to try it because I always went high at the same time, so she thought I was running out of background insulin.

Disclaimer, if you do try and change your insulin in any way, check your sugars regularly so you don't go low.

Stress causes my sugars to raise. You say you are 16. Are you doing exams? That might be adding to it.

You said you have increased your insulin. What type did you increase? If you are going high before food, increasing your quick acting wont help much.

Basically, there is always a reason for sugars going up, but it's not always your fault.

What I would suggest if for the next two weeks write down everything. What you ate, what excercise you did, how stressed you felt, and what your sugar reading was. When I did this, I recorded it on a sheet with columns of time, reading, food, insulin, activity and stress levels. That's when you start to see the patterns.

12. Gizmo123

Gizmo123 · Member

If u want to go on a pump you must carb count otherwise the pump won't be accurate enough.
    I prepare my breakfast cereal the night before. So I weigh out the cereal and calculate the carbs and then measure them milk into a jug and calculate the carbs. I'm morning I just put the two together as I already know the carbs.

13. Shell1

Shell1 Parent · Well-Known Member

Hi it's will possibly be the heat my blood goes high in hot heat in cold it goes down x

14. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I might be wrong about this but I will mention it anyway just in case it is helpful. I am a type 2 and the only control I have is by what I eat. My nurse told me not to leave big gaps between eating because if I do the liver will start to supply glucose.

OP says the sugar rises just before dinner so maybe it's a too long a gap since the last meal. Maybe a snack half way could be tried to see if it overcomes the problem.

15. megsayssmile

Thankyou everyone. I've realised it could be the heat and stress with exams and friends ect. x

16. shayanjameel08

shayanjameel08 · Member

Any illness or infection can make your blood sugar go up. Unfortunately, lots of things can do this. Even something as simple as not getting a good night's sleep. Pain can make a difference too.

17. ChloeAlisha

ChloeAlisha Type 1 · Member

Maybe you've counted your carbs wrong, or (if you're on it) it might be time to up your fast acting or long lasting insulin.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook